[.net] Tool to create UML model from C# source?

Started by
8 comments, last by mstrobel 16 years, 11 months ago
Hello! Does someone knows any good tool for creating UML model from existing C# code? It would be great! :) Lekha
Advertisement
Most of the time reverse engineering will only create class diagramms.
Tools like Rational Rose and Visual Studio Team System can do this for you. Do not expect too much.

Cheers
From Google searching, I can't find anything. However, this tutorial (subscriber only - but it does outline it's methods) uses System.Reflection and Rational Rose (yeah, I hadn't heard of it before either) to generate an object model. So it's up to you code one ;) It is a funky idea though.
You've never heard of Rational Rose?!? That must be awesome. [grin]

Learn to like it (or at least hearing its name), because you can't escape it in any sort of corporate, process-heavy environment.
I don't know of anything free.

Visio can reverse engineer projects, but is a pain to use. Rational Rose is ok but hard to learn and expensive. Borland has some products (I used previous versions of Together C++ and loved them, haven't tried current suite).

If you do find a good free or inexpensive (<$200) tool, please post it back here - thanks.
Probablly, Rational Rose is not bad choice. At least IBM sounds rather serious :)
So, I'll download it and try...

Anyway, I found some others, so I will exam them
I've used Enterprise Architect for both UML modelling and reverse-engineer UML building. I have used it mostly with C# but it also supports the majority of popular languages (I know I've done some C++ reverse modelling).
Just a correction from above - Visual Studio Pro 2005 has UML stuff in there too. There is richer support in some of the Team Editions though.
Anything posted is personal opinion which does not in anyway reflect or represent my employer. Any code and opinion is expressed “as is” and used at your own risk – it does not constitute a legal relationship of any kind.
WinA&D is a UML modeling tool that generates C# code:

http://www.excelsoftware.com/wina&dproducts.html

WinTranslator scans C# source code to generate WinA&D class models:

http://www.excelsoftware.com/wintranslator.html.

White Paper: UML for C#

URL: http://www.excelsoftware.com/csharp_models.pdf

Description: C# is a modern object-oriented language that supports component-oriented programming with properties, methods and events. This paper shows how C# programs are represented in the Unified Modeling Language (UML). It illustrates C# code generation from models and model generation from code.
I highly recommend using the class designer in Visual Studio 2005 Professional or Team System. It was created for designing .NET classes, so you have support for properties, events, attributes, etc. It also generates the skeleton classes for you, and you can drag existing classes onto the diagram as well. There is a project over on CodePlex that adds even more functionality to the class designer (I think it's part of VS2005 PowerToys).

EDIT: Sorry, I hadn't realized this was an old thread that had just been resurrected.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement