Windows XP

Started by
514 comments, last by Facehat 22 years, 3 months ago
if your an artist you SHOULD know that linux is one of THE best platforms for modelling, maya or renderman anyone? sigh...
Advertisement
I got the answer to all your problems. GET LINUX! The only way to get Microsoft to advocate the throne is for the consumer to adopt a better operating system, ala *nix.
Well, that was a waste of 2 minutes of my life. Now I have to code faster to get 'em back...
quote:Original post by executor_2k2
I got the answer to all your problems. GET LINUX!

You must be a person with extremely few problems in this world. I envy you your simple existence.

Fantastic doctrines (like Christianity or Islam or Marxism or Microsoft-bashing) require unanimity of belief. One dissenter casts doubt on the creed of millions. Thus the fear and hate; thus the torture chamber, the iron stake, the gallows, the labor camp, the psychiatric ward - Edward Abbey
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
Talking about opinions: if I somehow sound bad: well, that''s YOUR problem - don''t read, if u don''t like it. democracy, eh?

I see that you don''t notice arguments so there''s no point trying to prove anything here.

2 Null and Void:

1) "Linux (like all Unixes) is one of the best resources any programmer has"
I disagree... It has MORE resources than any other OS has, but not the BEST... "BEST" is a *BIG* topic to discuss...

2) "I bet you don''t know how to judge the resources."
And how do you know? I''ve been programming for twelve years now and have been through M$ DOS 3.0, 5.0, 6.0, 6.1, 6.2, 6.22, Win3.1, 3.11, 95, 98, 98SE, NT4, NT5 / W2k, XP. I''ve also worked on OS/2, openBSD and was working for half year on AIX4 without any graphics shell at all. On Hardware I''ve been through old 8086/88 till my newest P3. Even though DID I offend you directly now or before? If not then STFU... Usually I''m pretty friendly but I hate when someone questions my ability to judge.
The memory is NOT the only resource you have to judge anyway...

3) Linux''s stability is one of its huge perks! I''ve never had Linux lock up (I only run stable kernel releases though).
Oh... you only run stable kernel releases... now count how many releases are there... and why don''t you explain everybody how''s the process of updating your kernel? gcc? how long it takes on P2 CPU? Anyway, this topic is too large to discuss... there''re major sites about Unix Security and Stability
4) My greatest complain to GNU general public license (which is APPLIED to MOST of FREE of Linux compilers) citating:
a) "You may copy and distribute verbatim copies of the Program''s source code as you receive it, in any medium..."
b) "You may modify your copy or copies of the Program or any portion of it, thus forming a work based on the Program, and copy and distribute such modifications or work under the terms of Section 1 above..."
In other words, modify however u want it and distribute it... that''s what I call total chaos...
5) "XP licensing scheme is the first step towards the abyss."
Oh yeah? You know, you can see it from other perspective... What if M$ can think YOUR way: "because these @^$%#$ don''t respect us and our products, they''ll PAY DEARLY to continue using our services or #&%^$". I''m just exagerating & eronizing stuff so u get my point
6) "You spoke many things as if they were facts".
That''s how you interpret me.
7) "we should agree to disagree; as long as you don''t skew reality."
am I?..

2 other ppl:

1) "I got the answer to all your problems. GET LINUX!"
I got a better solution to all your problems in your live... don''t live! eh?

2)"if your an artist you SHOULD know that linux is one of THE best platforms for modelling, maya or renderman anyone? sigh..."
3D Studio Max for Linux anyone? Sorry Abdulla, I don''t have Maya =(

3) "my personal experience is that windows xp does something very odd at shutdown, i had an xfs bootdisk in floppy drive (i was having problems with my xfs partition) on shutdown, windows read the floppy and wrote to it so i couldn''t boot from the floppy which fucked me over, i swear that has to have some anti-competitive complication "
err... I once remember having Win98 mess up my HFS disk on install... that''s how it worked... WinXP lives ok and well with my current Linux distro... what really bothers me is that the big difference in documentation in WinXP and Linux is that in Linux you''ll read everywhere: "M$ Sux, use Linux!!!", especially when they speak about missing features in Linux (like font antialiasing, which isn''t really that hard to implement, even for bitmap fonts!).

4) "It seems xp hides a lot of stuff and the screen is so ''busy'' visually that sometimes it''s hard to find stuff."
You can "unhide" what u need. There''re options for that. WinXP made for maximum productivity so u don''t get messed up with unneeded stuff (unlike Linux btw...)

5) "i use win me? looks shit, does shit, is shit, everybody knows it! i prefer macos, simple an stable! my question about win is: why cant they just remove all the bugs and make their system more performant! if my screen had 16 colors i were happy because there were no resource usage!"
WinME is same as Win98SE, just with different logo and hellish System Restore feature. I believe it''s no good...
there''s no bug-free softare still and I think Windoze doesn''t have that many bugs... 16 colors?! oh man... I remember when one day I figured out 15/16-bit video modes... was thinking: "damn! 65536-color palette is BIG!"... now even getting back to 8-bit video mode sounds a VERY BAD idea...

I hope everybody will manage to flame me... and that''s ok. I might be wrong with some stuff and that''s why the discussions are for - to figure out the wrong.

With respect to everybody
- Lifepower
quote:Original post by Lifepower
I see that you don''t notice arguments so there''s no point trying to prove anything here.

What arguments? All I saw and commented on was opinion. Most of the factual points you made I didn''t disagree with.

I disagree... It has MORE resources than any other OS has, but not the BEST... "BEST" is a *BIG* topic to discuss...

Yes, I stated that as both an opinion and an example. You claimed that Linux was (to paraphrase) "useless for programming." It''s quite obviously useful for me. Notice the ''specification'' sentence.

I''ve also worked on OS/2, openBSD and was working for half year on AIX4 without any graphics shell at all. On Hardware I''ve been through old 8086/88 till my newest P3.

The experience in Windows based OS''s is somewhat irrelevent in interpretting resource readings in unixes. However, I''ll refrain from commenting any more until I have specific examples of the claimed waste of resources that I can display problems with.

Even though DID I offend you directly now or before? If not then STFU... Usually I''m pretty friendly but I hate when someone questions my ability to judge.

I can see how what I said could be seen as insulting. My apologies.

The memory is NOT the only resource you have to judge anyway...

Yes, but it''s the one most commonly refered to.

Oh... you only run stable kernel releases... now count how many releases are there... and why don''t you explain everybody how''s the process of updating your kernel?

Sure. Go to kernel.org and download the source code (pick one with an even middle version number). Uncompress and untar it, then run "make xconfig" (or "make menuconfig" if you want to use the command line). I personally copy the settings from my old kernel configuration to the new one, and update anything needing it. Then run "make dep" to make all of the dependencies. Then run "make bzImage", then "make modules", then "make modules_install". Now copy arch/i386/boot/bzImage (change depending on your CPU architecture) to a good location. Now just update /etc/lilo.conf and run lilo.

I don''t see how that''s hard to do if you follow the instructions in the README (The first time I did, step by step, never having done it before; and it worked ). Now, was this a test of my ability or a statement about Linux ?

How long it takes on P2 CPU? Anyway, this topic is too large to discuss...

It doesn''t take much time on my older Athlon (it''s only older because I got ripped off by the people I bought it from , I''d asked for a much higher clock speed than I was given, oh well ) to recompile the kernel (I''ve done it more than 10 times to mess with features). Second sentence: Obviously .

I still don''t see your problem with the GPL. It doesn''t hurt you any, just don''t use the personalized versions that may be out there. I really don''t understand your response to my XP license statement, sorry.

am I?..

Are you? I''m not claiming that you were, I was merely infering it for the effect it''d have on what you say from then on.

BTW: I''m never trying to flame you (although I think you were refering to some of the other people you chose to respond to ).

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
I think this thread has run it''s course, so I''m going to close it (as I probably should''ve long ago). There are plenty of resources on WinXP if you''re still curious about it, or you could just review the other 26 pages where it''s probably been discussed to death .

----------------------------------
AIM: IanWinsAgain ICQ: 60635592 TIM: FaceHat
FaceHat Software -- Wear the hat.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement