• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dire.Wolf

Windows XP

515 posts in this topic

Well, I feel that the level of security that Microsoft, and anyone who follows its lead, is going to intrude upon my work and privacy. I reformat my machine fairly often (it is home built, by me), so I have to be able to do as I wish to it. I don''t want to have to talk to Microsoft and ask them for permission to install the product.

I also don''t like to power that WinXP''s introduction of .NET will bring. Microsoft is determined to "rent" you its software. Eventually, for Office you''ll have to pay a monthly fee to use it, or it will be taken away from you.

Microsoft is also dramitically raising the usage of system resources (ram, video memory) with Windows XP, so that my system will have a harder time running programs besides Windows itself. Also (this is a personal issue), I feel that Microsoft is directing their product at the idiots of the World. The people that can''t tell you want BIOS stands for, or how to make a boot disk for DOS. There will be a Helper Wizard in Windows XP. You know that paper clip in Office? Well his cousin "Merlin" will control XP for you.

Also, it looks more like MacOS, I dislike MacOS a lot. This isn''t nescessarily a good or bad thing though, since some people like MacOS...

BTW: Look at my sig. .

"Finger to spiritual emptiness underlying everything." -- How a C manual referred to a "pointer to void." --Things People Said
Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!
http://www.gdarchive.net/druidgames/

I don''t know anything about XP, but I''ll certainly agree with Null and Void. I need to rebuild my machine, which I have a recovery disk for it, but I can''t find that little certificate that you are suppose to enter a number from thanks to Microsoft. So I call the manufacturer. They tell me that Microsoft controls that and I need to call them for that problem. So I call Microsoft. They tell me I have to purchase a new copy of Windows 98 because when I lost the certificate my copy of Windows 98 went from being legal and valid to pirated. I tell them I haven''t rebuilt the machine yet and Windows 98 is up and running. Couldn''t they just tell me where the number is stored so I can use the same number I originally used. They tell me I need to uninstall it because it is illegal to run it with out that crappy little piece of paper. So I''m browsing through the registry while talking to them and ask if this \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ProductId and ProductKey are the values I need. Oh, no sir, that isn''t it. No, I think that is it and I''ll use it. Oh, no sir, if you do that you will be breaking the law. FU Microsoft, you have no room to be talking about breaking the law.

I have nothing against companies trying to protect themselves from piracy, but something stinks with Microsoft. It seems to me their goal isn''t to protect themselves from piracy, but rather to milk valid, licensed users for more money. They know a large number of those things will be lost. I would bet anything they are counting on that happening. I guess if you can''t stop the pirates then just hassle and rip off the legal users instead.

MacOs ruled cuz if you had a little knowledge how the system worked you could change every part of it to our needs while having full control and ease of use, that certainly won''t happen in XP since wizzards don''t exactly make something easier they just slow you down but unfortunatly i had to switch to and i liked it to i had much more control of what going this fucking bloated interface just is shit but hey i think i can use osx on a pc too...

There''s a way around the whole registrating-security-thing. I heard it on the radio, that there''s a way someone figured out just to by pass it, which at least works on the betas.

I wonder if Windows will complain if I reformat my other partitions? Or perhaps even my ext2 partitions? Or if I fiddle around with it with parted (or Partition Magic or whatever)?

"This album was written, recorded and edited at Gröndal, Stockholm in the year of 2000. At this point in time money still ruled the world. Capitalistic thoughts were wide spread. From the sky filled with the fumes of a billionarie''s cigar to the deepest abyss drenched in nuclear waste. A rich kid was a happy kid, oh..dirty, filthy times. Let this be a reminder."
- Fireside, taken from back of the Elite album

Bogus Is Our System ? :o) *LOL*

no... Basic Input / Output System

cya,
Phil

Visit Rarebyte!
and no!, there are NO kangaroos in Austria (I got this questions a few times over in the states

quote:
Original post by Akiera

Umm, What dose BIOS stand for?

quote:
Original post by Null and Void
I feel that Microsoft is directing their product at the idiots of the World. The people that can''t tell you want BIOS stands for

omg...

If you guys hate microsoft so much and cant stand using their products. Why dont you just not use them. Microsoft in way says that (insert your name here) has to use their products. Why not use linux or some other OS. If your take your mind off microsoft for a min then you can actually find out that their are a lot of other OSes.

Stop complaining! microsoft is not going to change because a few(thousands of people are a few compared to the total number of users) people dont like it

boot disks in dos, man those were the days. the old 286. things were so much more fun back then. i remember having to make a boot disk for every game that came out. but i didnt mind, because the games were so much fun, and they actually worked. i dont think i ever even used windows for anything back then. i had it and knew how, but everything good was for dos. remember memmaker, and how good it was. sorry im babbling, i just miss those days.

Well, don''t lose the damn key! Whenever I get a new os key I make several copies of it, digital & paper. When you install 98/ME/2k you get some hash-mashed key that gets boiled down to thekey that is actually used. In 95 you can go to the control panel and look at the key that was used, the same type of number will be there in 98+, but it''s very different from the key you have to type in.

What''s different about the way you install XP over 98? Are you only allowed to use a key once? If thats the case it''s fucking useless, I have to reinstalled WinBlowsxxx about once a month per machine (every 3 months with 2k).

The good thing about XP is that it''s based on the NT kernel. So it has a shoot in hell of working, unlike ME or 98.

Maybe I''ll bring home my ''whistler'' beta and try it out... I was going to wait for the full release.

I thought BIOS stood for Built-In Operating System?

Magmai Kai Holmlor
- The disgruntled & disillusioned

quote:
Original post by Magmai Kai Holmlor
What''s different about the way you install XP over 98? Are you only allowed to use a key once? If thats the case it''s fucking useless, I have to reinstalled WinBlowsxxx about once a month per machine (every 3 months with 2k).

Yes, you can only use the key once, ever. If you need to use it again, then you have to call Microsoft on the phone and prove that your circumstances are legitimate, and they''ll give you a new key. Of course, they could just call you a pirate and tell you to get buy another copy.

Just so that you know Windows XP is Whistler, they changed it to XP for some unknown reason...

quote:
Original post by Anonymouse Poster
If you guys hate microsoft so much and cant stand using their products. Why dont you just not use them. Microsoft in way says that (insert your name here) has to use their products. Why not use linux or some other OS. If your take your mind off microsoft for a min then you can actually find out that their are a lot of other OSes.

I''ve been teaching myself Linux for a while now, just incase I have to use it instead. I don''t have a partition free at the moment or I''d try to install it. Overall I''d still rate myself as a Linux Newbie though.

quote:
jharkey
boot disks in dos, man those were the days. the old 286. things were so much more fun back then. i remember having to make a boot disk for every game that came out. but i didnt mind, because the games were so much fun, and they actually worked. i dont think i ever even used windows for anything back then. i had it and knew how, but everything good was for dos. remember memmaker, and how good it was. sorry im babbling, i just miss those days.

I remember the first computer my parents gave me. I had to boot DOS off of a 5.25" disk (it didn''t have a hard drive), then put the disk in with the game/program I wanted to use. When we (my family) installed Windows 3.1 on our brand new $2000 486, I remember booting out into DOS to do anything, because I disliked Windows .

"Finger to spiritual emptiness underlying everything." -- How a C manual referred to a "pointer to void." --Things People Said

I think I''ve heard enough. I''m making a gradual transition to Linux. I''ve long been a loyal user of Microsoft products. I''ve been very patient with Microsoft. I even rooted for Microsoft when the Government brought an antitrust suit against them. Now, I see that Microsoft is using their power for destructive purposes, by destroying privacy, and even making us "subscribe" to .NET to be able to use Office XP? I don''t think so!! I will not stand for this at all. So from here on, I have discarded all of my loyalty for Microsoft. Microsoft is acting more and more like a traditional corporation like Chrysler and Texaco. The more I hear about corporate abuses, the more I hate corporations, and the farther to the left side of the political spectrum I drift. I am now a Green Party supporter. Clearly, corporations are not trustworthy. So we need to build new methods of economic organization in order to stop the abuses from corporations, and other organized hierarchal power structures. After the fall of the Soviet Union, a Polish person was able to emigrate to America. He said that the inner workings of corporations are much the same as the inner workings of the Soviet Union. It''s time for a new revolution. We need to build a new economic philosophy that is able to both create wealth for all, and to uphold the political, social, and economic rights of the individual. Linux, here I come.

Why do we complain so much about Microsoft and why don''t we just stop using their products?

Simple, we want to eat so we have to deal with the fact that the populus is likely using an inferior product, but we still have to sell what we make to the populus.

I haven''t read much about XP either and I didn''t know about anything you guys have said about it, but all I did see was a screenshot. Based off what I saw, I about gagged. I really want to know what the heck microsoft is thinking. You know, they actually used to make some cool stuff...If all this XP garbage starts to become mainstream or they start using their "we don''t support (old product) anymore" BS, then I''m nuking windows and installing Linux. More and more people are doing the same, so I think you''ll soon not have to worry much about linux being compatible with other programs because developers will start developing for it. I wish all the dumb users who don''t want to learn how the computer works would just friggin use a mac. They are destroying what I love most about PCs - the amount of control you have over them. I''m for ease of use to a point...XP seems to far cross that point. There will always be some people who can''t figure out even the simplest things, mostly because I don''t think they want to. So why try to make things easy for them to use? It only creates more ignorance because people are able to get by knowing less and less than they ought to know. It''s like people watching TV without knowing where the power button on the remote is. "hey, let''s make the tv voice activated so people don''t have to worry about this problem!" That may sound over-stated, but it''s exactly what people are like with computers...how many times have you heard someone who said they can barely figure out how to turn the thing on? For people who just sit and whine about how they can''t figure so-and-so out with their computer, I say just screw em and let em figure it out like the rest of the world or don''t use it. Despite what I think a lot of people say, you can get by without it. People have for many many years =)

Some good points have been brought up. Like null and void I remember booting my IBM XT from a 5.25" floppy into DOS 2 or 3 (can''t remember which).

I''ve always loved having control of every aspect of the Windows OS environment. To be honest I''ve only tinkered with Linux but from what I''ve seen it a good OS. Unfortunately the problem with Linux is that it is still more targeted towards the highly knowledgeable computer user.

Regarding Windows XP''s registration requirement I think it can be done by modem as well. This means that you should be able to register more than once with the same key but you MUST register. If this is the case, everything is OK by me

Being a software developer for a relatively large corporation (Unisys), Microsoft''s .NET platform provides many exciting possibilities. At the same time though, I do not wish to "rent" my own personal software. A services/subscription orientated approach to marketing software to businesses is the way to go - that is still a lucrative business model. At the home consumer level I''d have to say that the subscription model will fail initially. There is still an interesting potential if the subscription process is done correctly.

For instance, how many of us actually use every piece of software we own every day? Sometimes I go a month or more without using Word and Excel - I use VS6.0 a lot though Still, being able to rent software for a month allows us to try before we buy in a sense. I''m sure MS will also offer "one time" purchase options, at an increased price albiet

Bottom line? I''m not completely sold on .NET''s home user possbilities - I personally don''t like it. Now, .NET for business-to-business sales makes a lot of sense and excites me

Windows XP? Well the one good thing about it is that it is based of the Windows 2000 kernel which means you may be reinstalling it a lot less often. I personally may stick with Windows 2000 Pro a little bit long.

BTW Windows XP will be offered in a Personal, Professional, Server and Advanced Server versions (I''m sure Data Centre etc will follow).

Dire Wolf
www.digitalfiends.com

Nice to see I haven''t been thoroughly flamed yet, heh. I''m actually hoping to convince other people to use my sig. pic, so go ahead (http://www.crosswinds.net/~druidgames/resist.jpg, my old server, before they put banners on my site) ... please .

I doubt the odds of my success, but I have to try to start a "ribbon" style campaign, or at least educate people about WinXP.

Well registration doesn''t sound good but it will be tolerable. Paying by the month on the other hand is unacceptable. I will not use any product that has a monthly fee.

quote:
I reformat my machine fairly often (it is home built, by me), so I have to be able to do as I wish to it.

Can I ask why? The last time I installed Windows on my machine was when I installed a new hard drive, and that was about two years ago.

I completey disagree with ''renting'' software though. I haven''t looked into XP, but this is what it sounds like. I just simply won''t use it. I still use 95 and it''s fine for me, there''s about three versions of windows still to get through before I get to XP

screw microsoft I''m not renting software or using .NET I''m already using linux now when that crap happens I''ll go over to linux fully.

or I''ll get a cracked version of the OS

The only good thing about WinXP is that it will finally rid the world of the hideous, hideous beast that is Win9x. I will never actually install it, of course, because I''m quite happy with Win2k.

Martee
Magnum Games.NET
All your code are belong to us.

quote:

Well, I feel that the level of security that Microsoft, and anyone who follows its lead, is going to intrude upon my work and privacy. I reformat my machine fairly often (it is home built, by me), so I have to be able to do as I wish to it. I don''t want to have to talk to Microsoft and ask them for permission to install the product.

I also don''t like to power that WinXP''s introduction of .NET will bring. Microsoft is determined to "rent" you its software. Eventually, for Office you''ll have to pay a monthly fee to use it, or it will be taken away from you.

Microsoft is also dramitically raising the usage of system resources (ram, video memory) with Windows XP, so that my system will have a harder time running programs besides Windows itself. Also (this is a personal issue), I feel that Microsoft is directing their product at the idiots of the World. The people that can''t tell you want BIOS stands for, or how to make a boot disk for DOS. There will be a Helper Wizard in Windows XP. You know that paper clip in Office? Well his cousin "Merlin" will control XP for you.

Also, it looks more like MacOS, I dislike MacOS a lot. This isn''t nescessarily a good or bad thing though, since some people like MacOS...

BTW: Look at my sig. .

Ok, I have some corrections to bring to what you just said. First of all, I''m a Mac and PC user. Now, as far as I can tell, I''ve seen Windows XP and there''s no way it looks like Mac OS, only people that don''t know Mac would say that it''s a clone. But as for the rest, Windows XP just sucks big time. The reason it sucks so bad is because I find that you don''t have enough control over the system. Anyhow, these are my views.

Cyberdrek
Headhunter Soft
A division of DLC Multimedia

I have found that on Gamedev.net many people here complain about micrsoft. Yet I have yet to see many people really do anything. All anybody ever really does is just come here and post a message about how much windows sucks. Now I am not a fan of microsoft nor do I hate it. I just think that most of the people here should move on to another OS and stop wasting space on this message board. As told by the anonymous poster earlier microsoft does not in anyway force you to use their products and if you think that they do I think you have a problem that should be dealt with by a bullet and shotgun aimed at your head while I pull the trigger.

Edited by - AMoronThatWantsToProgram on February 25, 2001 6:09:23 PM

You don''t have to read these threads either. I''m doing the best I can to make my engine Linux and Mac compatible (OpenGL and OpenAL), that way people won''t be forced to use Windows to play it. It is a small step, but its all I''m really able to take.