XNA Game Studio Express Beta available.

Started by
36 comments, last by Bom Tchi 17 years, 7 months ago
Quote:Original post by Naku
Quote:Original post by Michalson
I've been hearing a lot about the "C# only" for XNA, can anyone confirm that this is actually the case? As I understood it, XNA/Indie development was managed only, so that you couldn't use unsafe code to mess with your or other peoples XBoxs. That would mean you should be able to use any managed language, as they all compile to the same .NET assemblies (you could thus program an XBox 360 game in VB.NET or even COBOL.NET)

The Beta version is C# only. They're planning to add other managed languages to the RC1 at the end of the year.

Not exactly true. The RTM version of XNA Game Studio Express (due this fall) will be C# only. We are looking to add other languages and VS SKUs in the next major release.

Paul
Advertisement
Quote:Locks have been replaced with GetData and SetData functions that take offsets. I didn't like it either. Tom Miller told me that Locks were more problematic for the library user than they were worth (an argument I didn't buy) and that they were difficult to implement safely and securely under XNA and Xbox (something I did believe).

I already posted some concerns about the GraphicsStream disappearing back in 2005 with MDX2, but there might be some merit in this though. Since the target XNA platforms will be mostly multicore, wouldn't it make sense to completely detach locked vetex data from the device for processing on another thread?

Just trying to justify the loss of our beloved GraphicsStream I guess [wink]

Quote:For future reference, it might be worth considering the "Game Design", "Game Programming" and/or ".Net" forums for XNA questions. I've no problem with XNA stuff in the DirectX forum, just that XNA encompasses more than just DirectX so it may be better to take up discussions elsewhere...

Or we could petition to rename the forum to "DirectX and XNA" [evil] [grin]
Rim van Wersch [ MDXInfo ] [ XNAInfo ] [ YouTube ] - Do yourself a favor and bookmark this excellent free online D3D/shader book!
Quote:Original post by lulul
ok it looks nice, but im c++ programmer. if i understand its only for c#? should i go to c# and xna or c++ and dx10??

DX10 will pwn especially in game development DX10 will pwn everything else XNA is managed code so everyone needs to have .NET installed (bah!) and most people hate that :).
C++/DX10 will rule the development world (until DX11 is released ofcourse ;))
Quote:Original post by Havok1989
ok it looks nice, but im c++ programmer. if i understand its only for c#? should i go to c# and xna or c++ and dx10??

DX10 will pwn especially in game development DX10 will pwn everything else XNA is managed code so everyone needs to have .NET installed (bah!) and most people hate that :).
C++/DX10 will rule the development world (until DX11 is released ofcourse ;))

Not to play down D3D10 or anything (cause it is/will be amazing), but D3D10 will only be on Vista, and I believe Vista will come with .NET 2.0 installed. So if you have the requirements for D3D10, you will also have the requirements for MDX (and most probably XNA) [smile]

Regards,
ViLiO
Richard 'ViLiO' Thomasv.net | Twitter | YouTube
In anyone wants to share samples they have created they can send them to this site. There are already a few tutorials and samples up. http://www.XNASpot.com.
Awesome! Been waiting for this. Don't think I'm quite too ready to make the move to C# just yet, but it will be a speedy and easy transition.
"you must be older than 18, thanks for interts" why?? this is a discrimination of young developers!

Since it is in beta.

Generally when someone beta test software they have to sign a NDA or some other contractual documentation. And since, a signature on a contract is not legally binding for someone under 18 most of the time they will be excluded from beta testing.
Ok it is vert cool, but why i've to use it?
What does it introduce of more over Visual Studio + DirectX?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement