Sign in to follow this  
The C modest god

1D game?

CTar    1134
Sure it is possible, but not a good idea. Try to think about what 1 dimension is. 1D will be a straight line, possibly with different colors at different positions, but no width.

Spoonbender    1258
you'd have to define what you mean a bit more. A game with one-dimensional graphics? Or one with one-dimensional gameplay? Or a one-dimensional game world?
(For example, there are plenty of 2d games using 3d graphics. Technically there are a few 3d games that use 2d graphics too, more or less)
And you could argue that gameplay such as Space Invaders is one-dimensional. All you do is move back and forth on a line, firing a gun.

Xai    1838
yes you could make a 1D game ... I am right now imagining something that draws from teh ideas of missle command and those old 2D games which you moved a guy around the bottom of the screen to catch falling stuff ...

only instead of using 2D, just make the game use colored dots moving on a line (via a single axis controller of course). So you could be a blue dot moving back and forth on a line intercepting increasingly bright red dots before the kill you .. etc.

Or you could make a game in which you have to keep a lever balanced, while taking on additional weights (2D in physics nature, but potentially 1D in control and graphics).

Hammurabi    122

Graphically it would generally be taken as a single line. So, what ever gameplay you could come up with would need to be contained on a single line of display. If the line changes position in a direction perpendicular to itself then you have entered 2D space.

Color changing and contraction and expansion of the line are all I can think of for display elements. Sound could play a big role in feedback to the user, as could haptics.

I can think of a few implementations that would techincally be a game, but I don't see much in the way of longevity.

Sound and haptics are, however, additional dimensions.

Xai    1838
heck, games don't even need to be "D" rated ... a game with nothing but disconnected buttons and lights is still a game ... such as a game where you have to test your reflexes to "kill" an enemy when they show up or "save" a princess. Build by having nothing except 2 buttons (kill and save), 2 lights (enemy and princess), and probably a score counter of sort or a timer. And for an advanced versions you might add stuff like extra lights to distract the player - (citizens that must be ignored).

Xai    1838
Trufully real 3D games are not fun ... we need many more D than that ... I consider it a cheat to call a paper a 2D drawing surface ... it is in fact a 2D physical surface, but a drawing on it is multi-dimensional ... limited only by the perceptive and abstract capabilities of the observer. A simple drawing has at least 3D of expresiveness - Color @ X and Y (which is actually the trick we use to draw 3D in 2D screens) - also, if Wavelength is considered seperate from Brightness then it is 4F (For instance a 2D top-view of a minimap can show 4D of information - Color == Team, Brightness == Strength, X,Y = POS -- or Color == rate of change, Brightness == Z, X,Y == X,Y).

Also, unlike pictures, games also have a time dimension to work with ... allowing tricks like signals and patterns to be used to convey information (a single-brightness, single-color light can be used to convey the entire english langauges using nothing but 2 states, moris code, and time). The time dimension of a slide-show like presentation often conveys the Z value (for instance showing CAT/MRI scans in sequence where each slice is a certain depth of the scan).

Just thought I'd go all analytical for a minute ... now on with all the 1D goodness.

Ezbez    1164
Well, you could always make it something like a "First Person 2D game." The graphical outcome would be a line, but the actual game things would be 2D. Wouldn't look very impressive, though.

smitty1276    560
Quote:
Original post by CTar
Sure it is possible, but not a good idea. Try to think about what 1 dimension is. 1D will be a straight line, possibly with different colors at different positions, but no width.

I don't know if that is even accurate. If it has varying colors, then color could be considered to be the second dimension.

Diton    122
Quote:
Original post by smitty1276
Quote:
Original post by CTar

I don't know if that is even accurate. If it has varying colors, then color could be considered to be the second dimension.

If you treat it that way, then a 2D game with varying colors is really 3D, and a 3D game with colors is really 4D.

Michalson    1657
A lot of old "brawler" games, especially the old Tiger LCD games we had back in the day (now you damn kids get them with your happy meal) had "1D" gameplay. You could walk forwards or backwards, there was no jump or other vertical movement.

Captain P    1092
I must say, I quite liked the concept of Twinoo (on the same site), playing two 'different' games at the same time, both with their own 'lives' and time limit. Looks much more interesting than a 1-dimensional environment.

Anyway, I believe that color, sound and time can be used for various things that you'd otherwise use the second dimension for. Needless to say, using that second dimension is a lot easier on the eye, but various games, like an avoid-the-obstacles race are essentially just 1D games. Jumping over obstacles, unless it can bring you to alternate paths, is merely a state change. Color or sound can be used to display that as well.

I don't believe a 1D interface works well however (especially considering true 1D would be infinitely thin... ;) ), but 1D gameplay surely is possible. You could still argue whether or not state changes or other elements can be seen as dimensions however...

smitty1276    560
Quote:
Original post by Diton
Quote:
Original post by smitty1276
Quote:
Original post by CTar

If you treat it that way, then a 2D game with varying colors is really 3D, and a 3D game with colors is really 4D.

Well, you make a point, but when you get down to "1D", then color becomes more important--it has the abililty to convey much more information. Normally color is simply an artistic thing, design to create mood or make objects look cool.

When you're down to "1D", then the color becomes analogous to the value of a function giving you a second dimension. In 1D, if you are bothering to use color, then it necessarily exists for reasons beyond being itself--or so it would seem to me.

So your right... color on a 2D MAP for example can effectively provide a 3rd dimension when the color exists to provide information. A heightmap is a good example of this.

stevenmarky    369
I can't imagine a good 1d game. You could unroll some other simple games into 1d I guess, like tic-tac-toe (noughts and crosses) - but people from 1 dimensional realms just wouldn't understand it. The idea about using color is good, perhaps you could make a 1d snake game using color (you could teleport if you go over a certain colour in a certain direction).

But games with dimensions higher than 3 (or 4 if you think time is one) are what I think would be interesting.

JBourrie    1204
Narbacular Drop/Portal is, in a way, a 4D game (in that you can completely break 3D space with the portal system).

My computer science professor did some work on projecting 4D images into a viewable 2D image ( Link ).

jbadams    25674
Question: Do you actually have a good idea for a '1d' game or are you just looking for a gimmick?

As a game designer you should be trying to create a good game rather than trying to create something to fit around a gimmicky idea; the novelty may generate some interest, but in the long run most gamers will probably go back to a more mainstream game that's less 'original' but is in some way better made.

If you've got something unusual that's also actually fun or that you think might turn out that way then go for it, but don't try to design 'outside the box' just for the sake of it.

Trapper Zoid    1370
While it's possible to make a game in 1D, it's hard to make it anything too complicated. Even most games like Space Invaders where the player is confined to a single line of movement are still 2D; the ship might only move left and right but it fires upwards to enemies above it.

The only games I know of that might strictly be called 1D are puzzle games, like the Toads and Frogs puzzle.

I was just trying to see if minimalisem can work in terms of graphics.
Trying to do something creative by restricting your technical possebilities.
The first thing I thought about is a game with only sound, but that is sort of cheating, because you don't necesseraly exploit the 1D graphics in this game at all.

Xai    1838
A few years ago I had an idea for a game experience that was about user development.

The fundamental premise was that you are an "entity" with a slowly increasing awareness of the world around you and almost no hardcoded wetwiring to help you understand or interpret this world (as opposed to say a human who has many highly specialize organs in the brain to process various types of input in particular way) ...

So the "game" was going to start out as a completely black screen, with no sound, and no predefined control system. And then the game world would begin generating itself using various self-referential algorithms to eventually grow into something somewhat recognizable as a game. Obviously the progression algorithms would have to be coded by a programmer (I was envisioning the idea of using various generators to invent a number of "dimensions" a number of physics formulas (have alternate parameter based options) a number of attributes and arbitrary relations between them - like say "when attibute A gets low, a quick jolt is infused into attribute B" or "when attrbiute C gets too high, it drains attribute D and infuses it into attribute B" ... which might be like starvation and threat leading to aggression) ... but the core idea was that the game controls and input / ouputs would be mapped and modified as the game progresses. For instance at the start, sound code be a single pattern whose intensity is mapped to attribute C, while the screen could be filled by eminating the level of attibute A as a certain color / location, and attribute D could cause a certain effect at certain levels.

Then as the game progressed, these things would - slowly and in a connected manner - shift and migrate to other forms of expression allowing the presentation of more information.

I originally envisioned as being a game about being a single-celled organism (which of course has no nervous system and sense in the normal sense), and only hoped to reach further once I learn how to make that initial theme be somewhat expressable and enjoyable to experience.

A single celled creature basically has A cell-wall with presure / spacial state - an internal state, various organelles with state, and some complex manner of interaction between them. As well as "the world outside" of course.

Oluseyi    2103
Quote:
Original post by The C modest god
I was just trying to see if minimalisem can work in terms of graphics.

1D graphics is effectively meaningless, given that the display device is 2D. 1D gameplay, however, is well-established and has a lot of opportunities if you don't mind marrying it to 2D graphics or non-graphical representation (like sound, where you can have on level in which the singular representative dimension is amplitude - meaning there is always a note/sound being played, but at different volumes - or pitch or frequency, etc).

1D gameplay is particularly well-known in games where you essentially have a single input. Take those Tiger handheld racing games, for instance, where your car can be in one of three positions - left, center, right - but can not advance or retreat, nor do you have control over speed, etc. That is 1D gameplay, yet many of us were entertained by such games for hours on end in our youth.

That said, layered complexity is the prime means of originating complex gameplay. Take the sound example above: by starting out in levels where the user can affect only one of pitch, amplitude and frequency, then moving to levels where the user can simultaneously affect pairings, and finally to a level in which all three are driven by user input, you've created a complexity gradient that, well executed, should be quite satisfying. Tweak the input mechanism a little and you'll see that this is basically Karaoke Revolution.

1D graphics, though, is a meaningless semantic exercise.

Fournicolas    270
then instead of using length, what about using time, as the dimension watched?

Let's say you have to press a control on a certain timing? Donkey Konga, or Dance Dance Revolution anyone?

Pow!

http://unfaegne.eorl.googlepages.com/1d.htm

Buggy little javascript game.

I interpret '1D game' as a game where the 'game world' exists entirely in one dimensional, regardless of how it is rendered.

In this game, you play a line segment (thrilling). You have two variables (in a single dimension however) - length and position. You are being attacked by other line segments. The guys to your left can get you if they touch you while longer than you. The guys on the right can get you if they touch you while shorter than you.

It is buggy and ugly, but I think if done properly it could be an enjoyable mini-game for a cell phone or whatever, and I think it meets the criteria of the original question.