Fourth dimension anyone?

Started by
8 comments, last by nagromo 17 years, 7 months ago
On my web-surfing, I came across something rather intresting: 4d maze. The name is rather self-explaining; It is a 3d-maze, but all super-hypercube-ey. The princible is that you can see a an object on an N-1 plane; you can see a 3d-object in a 2d plane, so you can see a 4d-object in a 3d-plane, using stereoscopics. The actual game is harder to visualize than the stereo-gram on the page, though. The game requires java to run. To run, cd to the out folder, and run "java Maze" EDIT: This forum really needs preview, I have edited this post about 5 times. [smile]
I program in my sleep,but when I sleep I use the partition in my head that doesnt have g++ or the .net library, so im kinda screwed.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by supercoder74
EDIT: This forum really needs preview, I have edited this post about 5 times. [smile]

It has one. Right below the post box: "Show Preview".
Quote:Original post by Andrew Russell
Quote:Original post by supercoder74
EDIT: This forum really needs preview, I have edited this post about 5 times. [smile]

It has one. Right below the post box: "Show Preview".

Haha, so there is!
I program in my sleep,but when I sleep I use the partition in my head that doesnt have g++ or the .net library, so im kinda screwed.
To anyone trying to run it with
    java Maze
without success, try
    java -cp . Maze
(to tell java to search for classes in the current directory)

Cool idea, I tried to get any sense out of the stereoscopic 3D projection of the 4D world, but I failed [sad]
[s]--------------------------------------------------------[/s]chromecode.com - software with source code
I know it doesnt matter, but it is technically impossible to properly model a 4 dimensional figure in 3 dimensions
There was a saying we had in college: Those who walk into the engineering building are never quite the same when they walk out.
Quote:Original post by medevilenemy
I know it doesnt matter, but it is technically impossible to properly model a 4 dimensional figure in 3 dimensions

It's called a projection. It's also technically impossible to model a 3 dimensional figure in 2 dimensions, but that doesn't stop game developers from making games.
Quote:Original post by Samith
...but that doesn't stop game developers from making games.

Are you sure? Perhaps video games are just a vast conspiracy on the part of the Pythagoreans to convince you that we don't really exist in a two dimensional world.

I would try this game [if there is such a thing], but such puzzles give me a headache.

CM
The 3d puzzle is understandable, boring, but understandable.

The 4d puzzle just looks like a bunch of lines if you ask me.
Yeah same for me, the 4D puzzle looked like a bunch of lines, that gave me a headache for 20 minutes, after playing for 30 seconds.
I thought it was pretty cool. I had a tough time getting the double vision to work, but once I did, it was better. I could only get it to work when the window took less than one fourth of my screen, though, and the lines were blurry.

Once I got the stereo vision to work, I was able to navigate the maze OK. I could usually guess which direction to turn to find a tunnel. I didn't really grasp the 4d space, or even the 3d cubes, but I was able to get to the end of the maze.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement