C++ Workshop - Arrays & Strings (Ch. 13)

Started by
35 comments, last by alphastickmania 14 years, 10 months ago

Welcome to the GDNet C++ Workshop – Ch. 13

For a complete introduction to this workshop, please look here. Workshop Overview This workshop is designed to aid people in their journey to learn beginning C++. This workshop is targeted at highly motivated individuals who are interested in learning C++ or who have attempted to learn C++ in the past, but found that without sufficient support and mentoring they were unable to connect all the pieces of this highly complex but powerful programming language. This is a 'guided' self-teaching C++ workshop. Each student is responsible for taking the time to read the material and learn the information. The community and tutors that arise out of this workshop are here for making the learning process run more smoothly, but are not obligated to baby-sit a person's progress. Because everyone will be working from the same textbook (Teach Yourself C++ in 21 days 5th Ed.), students may find it easier to get answers to the specific questions they might have. There is no minimum age requirement, and there is no previous programming experience required. Additionally, this workshop does not attempt to defend C++ as a language, nor does it attempt to demonstrate that C++ is either more or less useful then other programming languages for any particular purpose. People who intend to start a discussion about the differences between C++ and ANY other languages (except as are relevant to a particular discussion), are encouraged to do so elsewhere. This workshop is for educational, not philosophical discussions. Quizzes & Exercises Each week will have quizzes and exercises posted in the weekly threads. Please try and answer them by yourself. As well, please DO NOT post the answers to Quizzes and Exercises within this thread. Once it becomes acceptable to post the answers to quizzes and exercises, an additional thread will be created each week specifically for the purpose of posting quiz answers. If you try with reasonable effort but are unable to answer the questions or complete the exercises, feel free to post a clarification question here on the thread. Tutors, myself, or others will do the best we can to point you in the right direction for finding the answer.

Chapter 13 – Managing Arrays and Strings

Introduction Welcome back everyone! We took a week off so that people would have a chance to make headway on their projects, but alas we're back. We've now completed over 50% of the workshop and there will be no more breaks between now and the end. We've got roughly 9 weeks left (including this week) and 2 more projects to do...plus a final project, so we'll be busy up until the end. This week we'll be covering arrays and strings - one of the most controversial topics amongst seasoned programmers. Historically, strings were handled as an array of characters, or as a pointer to a an array of characters. This often lead to confusing out of bounds issues (due to needing a terminating null character), dangling pointers, and memory leaks. Modern programming languages, C++ included, provide helper string classes which encapsulate the messiness of dealing with pointers when wanting to use strings. One of the unique things about this book is it gives the readers an opportunity to write their OWN string class, so you'll have an idea of what's happening under the hood when using the Standard Library's string class; std::string. Additionally, you'll all get a chance to work with arrays, the basic container objects for storing sets of objects in C++. This might come in handy during development of your projects! And speaking of projects, there's just under two weeks left to complete Project 1. So don’t forget to check out Project 1. This project is designed to test everything you've learned so far. Expressions, branching, functions, pointers, classes, loops, and object oriented design. I'm looking forward to seeing what each person following the tutorial can come up with. If you find you're having technical questions about how to do something, you might want to go back and re-read a chapter or 2. If you're having questions about design, and where to get started, well...welcome to the wonderful world of problem solving. Please feel free to post questions in the Project 1 thread on how to design the program. Please remember to use OPINION and WARNING tags whenever applicable. As well, feel free to post your own insights, and review questions or exercises beginning Wednesday or Thursday. Outline of the Reading - Chapter 13
  1. What is an Array?
  2. Using Arrays of Objects
  3. Building Arrays of Pointers
  4. A Look at Pointer Arithmetic - An Advanced Topic
  5. Declaring Arrays on the Free Store
  6. char Arrays and Strings
  7. Using the strcpy() and strncpy() Methods
  8. String Classes
  9. Linked Lists and Other Structures
  10. Creating Array Classes

Good Luck!

[Edited by - jwalsh on May 30, 2007 1:04:02 PM]
Jeromy Walsh
Sr. Tools & Engine Programmer | Software Engineer
Microsoft Windows Phone Team
Chronicles of Elyria (An In-development MMORPG)
GameDevelopedia.com - Blog & Tutorials
GDNet Mentoring: XNA Workshop | C# Workshop | C++ Workshop
"The question is not how far, the question is do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?" - Il Duche, Boondock Saints
Advertisement
Not related to this chapter.More of a general question.

Should we avoid using global variables.And if we should, are there exceptions?
Under what circumstances is using a global variable a good idea.
[opinion]
Usually you want to avoid global variables all together. If you have to use one, there is probably room for improvement in your code.

A common good use for a global variable would be to define something. In those cases, you would use the #define precompiler command instead of calling it like a normal variable. One common one you might see is something like:

#define DEBUGint main(){#ifdef DEBUG//output some debug info#endif}

Whether it is a good idea or bad idea is really up to you, but knowing when to use them is more important. You should only use a global variable when it is something common that needs to be shared throughout your program and the value won't change.

Another good use would be to define some constants instead of having to use numbers. So you could have something like:

#define THROW_BALL 1#define CATCH_BALL 2#define DROP_BALL 3int main(){switch(action){case THROW_BALL:  //...  break;case CATCH_BALL:  //...  break;case DROP_BALL;  //...  break;}} 

[/opinion]
[opinion]( It's a shame the book feels it's nessesary to introduce char* strings before std::string and new[]/delete[] before std::vector. )[/opinion]

Quote:Original post by samanime
[opinion]
A common good use for a global variable would be to define something. In those cases, you would use the #define precompiler command instead of calling it like a normal variable. One common one you might see is something like:

*** Source Snippet Removed ***
[/opinion]

C++ added const so that this would no longer be nessesary.

[opinion]const variables at global scope are acceptable[/opinion] and const variables at namespace scope are certainly alright.

[opinion]
Another good use would be to define some constants instead of having to use numbers. So you could have something like:

*** Source Snippet Removed ***
[/opinion]

In that situation an enum would be preferable.
[opinion]And if an enum were not available, use const ints. Do not use #define for constants, and do not use macros to avoid function call overhead (use inline functions instead)

The only time you should be using #define in C++ is for include guards and conditional compilation. (And code generation, if you really know what you're doing)
[/opinion]
In the book the writer gives the following example:

Cat* catArray[500];Cat* pCat;for(int i = 0; i < 500; i++){   pCat = new Cat;   catArray = pCat;}

In the end he does not delete any of the elements in the array. This is a memory leak right? Or am I missing something?
Quote:Original post by RinusMaximus

Cat* catArray[500];Cat* pCat;for(int i = 0; i < 500; i++){   pCat = new Cat;   catArray = pCat;}

In the end he does not delete any of the elements in the array. This is a memory leak right? Or am I missing something?

Indeed, it is a memory leak.
Quote:Original post by Emmanuel Deloget
Quote:Original post by RinusMaximus

Indeed, it is a memory leak.

Ok good. I was doubting my own understanding of the subject when I saw this.

[opinion]
Usually you want to avoid global variables all together. If you have to use one, there is probably room for improvement in your code.

[/opinion]

#define doesn't declare *real* project wide global variables, does it? O_O

I usually do like this when making a global:

[Header]
class myClass{};
extern myClass myClassGlobal;
[/Header]

[SourceFile]#include "stdafx.h"myClass myClassGlobal;[/SourceFile]
_______________________Afr0Games
Quote:Original post by Afr0m@n
#define doesn't declare *real* project wide global variables, does it? O_O

It's textual substitution, which is even worse than a global variable because it's not affected by scopes.

For example, certain common headers (windows.h) define a macro called min, which then makes it exceedingly annoying to call the std::min function which is just as fast and doesn't suffer from multipule-evaluation-of-argument gotchas.

( There's such things as Boost's BOOST_PREVENT_MACRO_SUBSTITUTION that can be used to get around it, but it's a pain. )

Quote:Original post by Afr0m@n
I usually do like this when making a global:
[snip]

That looks correct.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement