Orchester music?

Started by
6 comments, last by WandererWillow 17 years, 7 months ago
Hey, It's the first time I am posting here. I've Made some compositions with Madtrack for 2 months now and it goes pretty smooth but i feel like i can't make some types of music like Orchestermusic cause, I don't have any samples or VST plugins for that kind of music. I am wondering how you do? do you buy those 1000$ VSTi? It's not the musical expertease I don't have. 4 years music school and have learned musictheory since i was 12. So how should i do? i have searched for free VSTi but i cant found any orchestral ones. / Whiner
Advertisement
I would get a free VST Soundfont player, and then check out a place like www.hammersounds.net , where you will be able to get your hands on a free soundfont orchestra collection like SFZ or Cadenza.
Sean Beeson | Composer for Media
www.seanbeeson.com
Building a good orchestral instrument bank is a lot of work, and thus it's unlikely to be available for free.

There are several affordable orchestral instruments or sample sets, though, in the sub-$200 range. If you don't have your own job, then that's probably still a lot of money, and you'll just have to try to make a General MIDI sound bank sounds like an orchestra (typically, you'll get one with a sound card like the SoundBlaster Audigy series, or even the bundled Microsoft Software MIDI Synth).
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Or you could just buy something like EWQLSO Silver for a little over 100$.

www.seanbeeson.com
I always start free...then milk it as far as that goes. Then I'll have a much more informed idea of what I need and what I should possibly buy. For starters, grab a free soundfont player and go to Hammerhead like Sean mentioned. I use both GTG SF Synth and rgc:sfz which is nice because it handles the larger soundfonts easy by streaming it like the big samplers do.

Then snag some soundfonts from Hammerhead or my new favorite for soundfonts, SF2Midi. Definitely try to find Cadenza, FreeTimeStrings, and anything with "Campbell" in the title. The guy sampled some great instruments properly and used the soundfont format well.

Then after playing with all of this, decide what you like and don't like about your collection. Then find a product that compliments your needs.

Tony
Quote:Original post by Sean R Beeson
Or you could just buy something like EWQLSO Silver for a little over 100$.

Out of interest, where could you do this? I was searching and couldn't find it for less than $199.

To the original poster: I agree with Tony above, in that you can go a long way on free samples. If you find they eventually hold you back, you can then upgrade. I find the Sinfonia soundfont useful in many cases, though it has limitations.
Drop me an e-mail at

seanbeeson@seanbeeson.com
www.seanbeeson.com
Get yourself a midi keyboard and Garritan Personal Orchestra, as well as Fruity Loops 6.0 Studio edition (use soundfonts). Its gonna cost you a little bit to do, but it makes its money back in due time.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement