Sign in to follow this  
P3D-BrandonR

[.net] .Net and XNA - Future ?

Hello everyone, I was browsing the Microsoft Dev site today and seen they released the XNA Beta 1 for download. Was reading the faq and towards the bottom seen this ... Q: Will there be any more improvements to Managed DirectX 2.0? A: The current Managed DirectX 2.0 beta libraries have been unchanged since the April 2006 SDK release. There will be no further changes to MDX 2.0 beta, nor will MDX 2.0 ever release officially. The MDX 2.0 assemblies will be removed from the DirectX SDK once the XNA Framework beta is released. Q: Does the XNA Framework replace Managed DirectX? A: The XNA Framework will have a managed API for working with hardware on the Xbox 360 and Windows. This API will subsume functionality in MDX 2.0 beta today. So it seems MDX 2.0 will be no more. But I wonder what the plan for MDX 1.1 will be ? Is XNA the replacement for MDX period now ? =/ Maybe I'm reading to much into this, I dunno. Maybe someone else has some insight into this. The FAQ link is here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/directx/xna/faq/

MDX 1.1 will still be supported. I don't know if they will still issue updates to the library. If they do, I doubt the updates will be anything big. All the truly major changes were put into XNA, since it is essentially the next iteration of MDX under the guise of a different name.

Quote:
Original post by P3D-BrandonR
Q: Will there be any more improvements to Managed DirectX 2.0?
A: The current Managed DirectX 2.0 beta libraries have been unchanged since the April 2006 SDK release. There will be no further changes to MDX 2.0 beta, nor will MDX 2.0 ever release officially. The MDX 2.0 assemblies will be removed from the DirectX SDK once the XNA Framework beta is released.

No, MDX 2.0 has been integrated into the XNA Framework. Most of it now exists in the 'Microsoft.XNA.Framework.Graphics' assembly. See the migration guide for what exactly has changed: MDX 1.1 to XNA Migration Guide. MDX 2.0 is now considered deprecated due to the release of the XNA beta. It will no longer be supported, and will most likely be removed from the next release of the next DirectX SDK.

Quote:
Original post by P3D-BrandonR
Q: Does the XNA Framework replace Managed DirectX?
A: The XNA Framework will have a managed API for working with hardware on the Xbox 360 and Windows. This API will subsume functionality in MDX 2.0 beta today.

So it seems MDX 2.0 will be no more. But I wonder what the plan for MDX 1.1 will be ? Is XNA the replacement for MDX period now ? =/

Correct MDX 2.0 is now part of the XNA Framework. MDX 1.1 is now in support mode and no more functionality will be added. However, minor patches for bugs may still be released if needed, and Micrsoft will fully support the product. XNA is not necassarily an replacement, but an evolution of the managed framework. It is ment to target developers wishing to produce cross platform products between the XBox 360 and Windows platforms. Depending on your project, you may still want to use MDX 1.1. However, from what I've seen so far, it will be suitable for most developers. Even though DirectInput, DirectSound, etc have been removed for cross platform reasons, there is nothing stopping you from still linking to the MDX 1.1 assemblies in your Windows only builds.

- Bill

Great info,

I geuss I need to sit down with my team and rethink some of the MDX direction we was heading in. Maybe read some more up on it and XNA and make a better decision.

Hopefully they will keep a flavor of MDX for those of us that want to use it. Unless the XNA Pro version offers the same. Geuss we will have to wait and see.