Sign in to follow this  
dsmart

Install VS6 + DirectX 9 April 2005 SDK *and* VS2005 + DirectX 9 August 2006 SDK

In my Using VS6 with DirectX April 2005 SDK thread, I showed how to get VS6 and DirectX 9 April 2005 SDK to work. I have just now updated that thread by adding revised links, file listings etc. I was going to add this post to that same thread, but couldn't since the thread has been retired. So, for those of you with legacy apps which can only build with the [legacy] VS6 + 2005 SDK, this is how you do it.
  1. Backup the following folders from your DirectX April 2005 SDK. You can backup the whole thing if you want, but thats just a waste of disk space. include lib\x86
  2. Uninstall DirectX April 2005 SDK
  3. Create a folder (of the same name as the now uninstalled original) for the backed up files and copy the files into it. e.g. Microsoft DirectX SDK (April 2005)
  4. Install the latest DirectX SDK e.g. August 2006 e.g. Microsoft DirectX SDK (August 2006)
  5. Go into VS2005 and add the folders for your August 2006 DirectX SDK
What you will have then are two separate installs of the following Visual Studio 6 + DirectX April 2005 SDK // for legacy apps Visual Studio 2005 + DirectX August 2006 SDK // for current apps This is the dev scenario that I have and all my legacy and current apps co-exist, compile and debug just fine on the same dev station.