My first Project !!

Started by
9 comments, last by DeathLetum 17 years, 7 months ago
Hi im slowly finishing my C++ book and while i do that im getting all the info and stuff i need for the game i want to make. It will be a MMORPG game and i still have no idea where to start from is there a guide to making a game like this. Like something that tells you the steps u need to take to make the game. Also i would like to know how to build a Map Editor if anyone can guide me on how to start that. P.S I know this is a big project that will probably take several years. So everyone knows this will not be my first project i will start with smaller games and all but i just want to get all the info i need so that when i start i know where im going. Im just trying to get ready for when the time starts so please help me out here with info of examples. tyvm to who ever will reply to this post!
Advertisement
nm
Here is a tutorial on the subject by a former GameDev.net member and one of the few indie developers who has successfully made an MMORPG.

Here is the postmortem for his MMORPG.

My advice is: Start small. Start ridiculously small. Get creative with just how tiny you can go.

A MMORPG is such a huge project that you can't sensibly plot out a plan for making one. Your best bet is, rather than worry about collecting all the info you need, just pick the smallest part of an MMORPG you can think of, then think smaller, then just get to work on it.

For example - MMORPGs need chat. You could make a chat server. But first, think smaller - make a daytime server. After you've done that, perhaps work on a simple chat server.

Also: Don't underestimate the difficulty of a map editor. It is a major component of any game (and an MMORPG is already a gigantic game). For this you could start by making really tiny applications in Windows Forms or wxWidgets.
k tyvm for the info and ya i do intent to start small :D
Well seen as your a fellow Canadian, Ill try to help a bit, first thing, you've commited a 'kinda' cliche like beginners mistake of announcing your plans to make a MMORPG, but unlike most you seem to have a bit better grasp, than most, on just how huge and difficult a project such as that would can become.
My advice is the same for most, and was given to me not long ago, start with a simple game, I mean like Pong, Asteroids, Tank Battle, the easier the better really. When you have the current project mastered, move on to a bit more difficult project.
There is really no need for people to list the tools and applications that would be utilised while making a online RPG, thos Im sure some will probably give you some ideas, but youll really come to discover all this on your own, theres no rush, 'cause you aint going to be using that stuff for a while. Just take it slow and easy at first. One of the biggest killers of potentially great developers, in my opinion, is taking on too difficult of a project, thus becoming discouraged and throwing in the towel, so start easy, who knows you just might be the next Sid Meirs(Civilization 1,2,3,4, among others, not sure I spelled his last name correctley).
There is a version of Pong that someone just made online(possibly in the Games section of the forum), people can chat and watch the play while they wait for their turn, this is the type of thing you'll have to master, simple online games, and build from there.
Most of all, good luck, and remember to keep it fun, if your stuck these boards are great for help, seems to be a lot of people that have a lot more knowledge than I. Peace, Grais
You used the words 'make' and 'MMORPG' in one post. By the time I finish typing my response, you'll probably have two or three people yelling at you for your ignorance/stupidity/noobness/whatever they are saying... So I'll stay on the supportive side, as you have probably already enough people discouraging you.

First up, my advice for you is not to make it with the intent of sales. Ifyou want to make money off of it, it'll be a much harder journey than it would be otherwise, and it's a hard enough journey as it is. However, if you want to make the game for fun, it is possible to get a decent project going and finished, perhaps even finish the first version in under a year, if you do it well. I assume you are talking about a 2D game? If not, fine, this post still applys to you. It would be much easier if it's 2D, though, and 2D games are surprisingly fun as it is.

What you want to do, is first up decide what API you'll use, and you general world figured out on paper. The you would start by making a simple screen appear, and getting text to appear. You'll soon need user input, and after that, you'll need to start making rough implementations of your GUI. You'll need to look into networking, and figure out how to make the user's program(typically called a 'client') talk to the main program(called a 'server'). You'll need to create classes and structs to hold player info, and make a way to store it on the server. Never store important data client-side. You will try and figure out how to send simple text messages back and forth between two computers, and you need to make a level editor, as well as a scripting program. With the completion of you level editor, you will have a general idea of you to load and display you levels in-game as well. You'll have to deal with art, if only placerholder art you download until you get an artist, and you'll need to figure out how to play music and sounds, although you don't need any audio at this point. You must work hard, and YOU must make it. Most people wont join your team until you have something going yourself.

Here is what you NEED before you even think of requesting help.

General idea of game-state before posting in Help Wanted:
- Working chat system
- Loading and displaying maps
- Player avatars vissible in-game
- Player input
- Player abillity to see each other in-game
- Player deaths
- At least a half-way functional map-editor
- Player equiping and un-equiping of items
- Player inventorial system
- Player GUI in a completed state (Although, doesn't have to be a final decison)
- The beginning of the script editor coming together
- The abillity to play sounds and music, regardless of if you have any
- Scrolling maps
- Player transitions between maps
- A near-completed world plot (Time period, history, etc...)
- Enough (legal)place-holder art to have a semi-playable game
- General outline of playable races and classes

This isn't even a playable game, but you ought to have at that before seeking teammates. (I can easily think of triple the stuff I wrote down, and be nowhere near a completed game, if you think what I wrote is too long)

Good luck.
Quote:Original post by Servant of the Lord
as you have probably already enough people discouraging you.

Well ppl can say and do all they want i know it will be a rought path but if wanted to make game since i was a kid and yes i do intend on starting really small im not gonna make a MMORPG for my first game basicly all i wanted to get out of this post is what u listed about doing the chat and so on.

Btw "Servant of the lord" ty for your post it made alot of stuff clear to me now.And yes i dont intend on making a post asking for help untill i get a semi-runnning copy of the game.I aint one of the 10year old kids that post here wanting to make a mmorpg and then quit after 2weeks of working on it im 19 and pretty down to earth and i very well know this will probably be one of the hardest thing i ever try to do lol. (No offence to the 10years old ppl btw)

Im even gonna do tetris and other game like that before i even move on to a 2d game. then ill work on a few 2d games to get the hand of things then i will make my 2d MMORPG i want.

Oh and i aint making the game to make money off it i just want a game i can hang out with my friends and basicly i want a challenge. I dont even wanna try to make a game that can make money untill i have 3+years of programming exp and more.

You will find this funny but whats the difference between
2d game
and
2d isometric game (not even sure that us spelled right)

[Edited by - DeathLetum on September 6, 2006 12:49:09 PM]
Quote:
You will find this funny but whats the difference between
2d game
and
2d isometric game (not even sure that us spelled right)

Actually nothing. Both are 2D type games. Isometric is style of graphic tiles. 2D game is for example Chicken Invaders (everybody knows it[smile]), while isometric style is for example Diablo. Both are using 2D functions, just tile system is different.
oh ok thx
I recommend you totally follow Andrew Russell's advice and just think of the smallest possible building block for an MMO and code it. I disagree with anyone who says to start by making pong, tetris or whatver. I tried that at first, but the idea of remaking pong doesn't motivate me in the slightest, so I never finished. I think that setting goals that are difficult and interesting is important, because they drive you to learn more instead of demotivate you.

As for Isometric games, the only difference between them and other 2D games is the perspective. Iso games have that fake 3d, three-quarters view perspective, where objects that are farther away go towards the top of the screen. Here is a good article on that.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement