Untitled

Started by
12 comments, last by Tom Sloper 17 years, 7 months ago
>> So am I reading this correctly? Is the only way to break into the industry is to apply for a position they are looking for? Do all companies work like this?

This should be obvious.

Companies hire people when they are looking for somebody to do a job. It doesn't matter if that is how you break in to the industry or if you are experienced, you won't get a job somewhere if they don't have a need for you.
Advertisement
death wrote:

>How much do you think it would be total for me to make a game? I want to make a fighting game and am not sure if this would sell well on a computer platform, so thats why I wanted to do it for the ps3.

You can learn about the process of making video games, and the associated costs, at Sloperama.com. Article 10 is about the process, and Article 62 is about the finances.

>So I cant walk into a studio and say hey I have this great idea for a game and maybe they will like the idea

Read Articles 1, 11, and 21.

>(or what if I present a software demo of my work or a portfolio) and give me a job as an artist and director?

Extremely unlikely.

>So what does train mean exactly then as I'm not following.

College degree for starters, then practical experience actually making games cooperatively together with other people.

>Is the only way to break into the industry is to apply for a position they are looking for?

Yes. What were you thinking it was like? How old are you, and how much education have you gotten so far, and what is your present occupation?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

HI Tom

Well I thought I might be able to start working on my own game if I showed a comp. a demo or a gamedoc. that is if if they liked it and if they were to think this game might make them alot of money.

Im 23 and I'm not working right now and have no experience with games design. It's hard enough for me to do anything really since I have severe ocd and had to actually drop out of college because of it. I also have concentration problems which means when I go to read the awesome articles you have written I have difficulty understanding the material.

I just feel strongly about getting this game done and will no matter what it takes.
death wrote:
>Well I thought I might be able to start working on my own game if I showed a comp. a demo or a gamedoc. that is if if they liked it and if they were to think this game might make them alot of money.

Yes, it seemed that's what you were asking (or that was part of what you were asking). And that's why I recommended you read FAQs 1, 11, and 21 on my website.

>I also have concentration problems which means when I go to read the awesome articles you have written I have difficulty understanding the material.

Ask any questions about specific areas of difficulty with the material.

>I just feel strongly about getting this game done and will no matter what it takes.

OK, you have three major hurdles to overcome:
1. To create a game requires large amounts of concentration from all active participants.
2. You probably can't do it all yourself (very few of us are able to do it all by ourselves, without collaborators), so therefore
3. You need money, lots of it, and that's extremely difficult to come by.

It is POSSIBLE to make a game all by your lonesome, with little or no cash. But the ease of doing it decreases tremendously without cash and without collaborators.

Read and re-read those FAQs, and like I said, ask for explanation of problematic passages anytime.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement