Too Old?

Started by
28 comments, last by maxpenguin 17 years, 7 months ago
Awsome, thanks everyone for the advice! Looks like I am going to college.

(feel free to keep the advice coming [grin])

THANKS!
Advertisement
LOL at the people saying 20+ is too old to go for a degree. Sshould they work at mc donalds? Should they just kill themselves because there will be someone younger who has a higher level of education?

Why even ask this question, in the end it's about skills and attitude, not your age. I would look deeply within if your asking these types of questions. It should be very obvious age isn't a factor.

i dont think you can criticize him for asking the question, its perfectly valid imho. if you dont know how important something is its in your best interest to find out.
I understand what you are saying ordered_disorder. I was actually just thinking that. I guess I have always been too eager to get into things, and that is how I have ended up here.

Thanks for your point of view. It would be plain stupid of me not to go to college now. No matter what, I will just be older - when I do decide. And I don't really want to just go work at McDonalds or something.

Thanks again!
Quote:
Tuesdays Gone
i dont think you can criticize him for asking the question, its perfectly valid imho. if you dont know how important something is its in your best interest to find out.

Sure I can, especially if I am coming from an angle of good will, and wanting an individual to think critically. Which is the point of good criticisms.

Quote:Original post by maxpenguin
I understand what you are saying ordered_disorder. I was actually just thinking that. I guess I have always been too eager to get into things, and that is how I have ended up here.

Thanks for your point of view. It would be plain stupid of me not to go to college now. No matter what, I will just be older - when I do decide. And I don't really want to just go work at McDonalds or something.

Thanks again!

There's an old irish saying(paraphrased). "As long as you have breath in your body, it doesn't matter how far you go down a road, you can always turn back.".

You already know it, but i am going to say it :] Create for yourself the skills that will give you a good life, whether that be through school or some other medium, and in the end, damned what other people think. Good Luck with your life maxpenguin.
I hope 20 isn't too old. 27 with a BSc Hons in Computer Studies, over 5 years strong business app experience in C++ (over 3 of that with C#) so far - I kind of hoping when I'm brave enough I'll be able to make a sideways move in to Gamedevelopment. Perhaps tools or something to begin with.
Anything posted is personal opinion which does not in anyway reflect or represent my employer. Any code and opinion is expressed “as is” and used at your own risk – it does not constitute a legal relationship of any kind.
The saying is a trite one, but that doesn't make it any less true: You're never too old to learn something new.
- k2"Choose a job you love, and you'll never have to work a day in your life." — Confucius"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will get you everywhere." — Albert Einstein"Money is the most egalitarian force in society. It confers power on whoever holds it." — Roger Starr{General Programming Forum FAQ} | {Blog/Journal} | {[email=kkaitan at gmail dot com]e-mail me[/email]} | {excellent webhosting}
Move to Israel. Most people are in the army until they're 21 and they usually take a year or five before going on to university, so at 20 you'd be way ahead of the pack.

shmoove
What degrees you have != what you can do
same with
how old you are != what you can do
as well as
how well others are doing around you != what you can do

There's a good number of people who are great game developers with nothing more than 2 years of post secondary.
Quote:Original post by maxpenguin
<snip>

LOL! :-))) No, you're not to old. Actually, you're probably in a good position to get your BSc quickly, skipping the really boring and easy first year courses. I'm assuming that you got your diploma from AIT (or whatever it's called now). It should be easy to transfer a lot of those credits to a degree a Auckland uni. The basic BSc is three years at Auckland, so you could get through in a couple of years.

BTW, I graduated from the school of engineering, but that was a few years ago now. I made a career change at 31 to get in the game industry. You have nothing to about with respect to your age.

Good luck.

--www.physicaluncertainty.com
--linkedin
--irc.freenode.net#gdnet

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement