need help combining cameras

Started by
1 comment, last by Ebola0001 17 years, 7 months ago
Strange title, but it’s the best I could think of. What I have is a quaternion rotated camera... works well when its at 0,0,0 And I have the camera position... works well when it’s not rotated however when i combine them, it seems like its applying the transformation first THEN the rotation so its rotating the world around a point rather than rotating the camera. Here is what I’m doing

if (CamYaw != 0 | CamPitch != 0 | CamRoll != 0)
{
 D3DXQuaternionRotationMatrix(&matViewQuatIn, &matView);
 D3DXQuaternionRotationYawPitchRoll(&matViewQuat, CamYaw, CamPitch, CamRoll);
 D3DXQuaternionMultiply(&matViewQuatOut, &matViewQuatIn, &matViewQuat);
 D3DXQuaternionNormalize(&matViewQuatOut, &matViewQuatOut);
 D3DXMatrixRotationQuaternion(&matView, &matViewQuatOut);
}

matView._41 = CameraPosition.x;
matView._42 = CameraPosition.y;
matView._42 = CameraPosition.z;
    d3ddev->SetTransform(D3DTS_VIEW, &(matView));    // set the view transform to matView

obviously this is not the best solution (as it doesn't work) I have also tried forming a matrix using only the Camera position information and multiplying them

//matView._41 = CameraPosition.x;
//matView._42 = CameraPosition.y;
//matView._42 = CameraPosition.z;
D3DXMatrixTranslation(&matViewTranslation, &CameraPosition.x, &CameraPosition.y, &CameraPosition.z);
    d3ddev->SetTransform(D3DTS_VIEW, &(matView * matViewTranslation));    // set the view transform to matView

This yielded no camera movement whatsoever, it sat there, even though Camera Position was moving around. These code snippets were retyped, because I ripped out the code that didn't work out of frustration... so there may be some typos but that’s basically what I tried. So... what am I doing wrong?
Quando Omni Flunkus MoritatiWhen All Else Fails, Play Dead!
Advertisement
Two things I noticed. First, I'm not sure exactly what your intent with the quaternion multiplication is, but remember that (IIRC) in DirectX the quaternion product q1*q2 applies the rotations in the order q1->q2, counter to mathematical convention.

Also, it doesn't look like you're inverting the matrix before sending it to D3D; this is most likely part of the problem.
OK... I got it to work now... thanks for the direction jyk :)

These were my thoughts on the quaternion math thing

These are the steps i go through to make my view matrix :)

1. Get the current View's rotation as a Quaternion
2. Make a Quaternion with the amount of rotational change this frame
3. Multiply the two together to get the new view rotation quat(with the current view quat from 1 as PQ1, if they are the other way around it will gimbal lock)
4. Normalize the new view quat to prevent generations of small math errors
5. Turn the new view quat into a matrix
6. make a new Identity Matrix to hold the translational info
7. move the camera position x,y,z to the matrix's fourth row
8. Multiply the Translation Matrix, and the Rotation Matrix, Order doesn't matter
9. Set the View Transform to the new combined translate/Rotate matrix
10. Sit back and smile

Here is the final code
D3DXQuaternionRotationMatrix(&matViewQuatIn,&matView);                   //Step 1D3DXQuaternionRotationYawPitchRoll(&matViewQuat,CamYaw,CamPitch,CamRoll);//Step 2D3DXQuaternionMultiply(&matViewQuatOut,&matViewQuatIn,&matViewQuat);     //Step 3D3DXQuaternionNormalize(&matViewQuatOut, &matViewQuatOut);               //Step 4D3DXMatrixRotationQuaternion(&matViewOut,&matViewQuatOut);               //Step 5D3DXMatrixIdentity(&matView);                                            //Step 6matView._41 = CameraPosition.x;                                          //Step 7matView._42 = CameraPosition.y;matView._43 = CameraPosition.z;matView = matView * matViewOut;                                          //Step 8d3ddev->SetTransform(D3DTS_VIEW, &(matView));                            //Step 9

11 Lines of code for a 6 degree freedom camera... I'm proud of myself :)
Quando Omni Flunkus MoritatiWhen All Else Fails, Play Dead!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement