Sign in to follow this  
kingcrimson

About GUI

Hi guys, I'm learning GUI programming and I have great interest in it... So..I want to know is there a easy-to-learn GUI sample or anyting else?? I have downloaded JUCE but it seems too complicated :P anyone gives me some advices?...thx...

er...
Basically it will be used for a PC platform game.
Using C++ and DirectX...
My friends are writing the game engine and we hope to make a simple GUI system if possible or we can use other useful middleware...
The needs of GUI is like common PC games' but it's better to support 3D objects as buttons or sth...
So I want to find some examples with source codes and learn how to write or how to use...

Go to the top of the page where it says Resources and click on 'Articles & Resources' and then 'DirectX'. There's a pretty nice set of tutorials in there for creating your own directX gui. If you dont want to start from scratch though you could always use the gui stuff that comes with DXUT. Check out the directX SDK documentation for more info.

Thank you all!
I have gone through IMGUI
I found it's really neat =)
But I don't understand more about that...
In my opinion,it uses a process-orientat way to deal with UI and you should render every widge by its state in every frame...
Is that right???

I want to know wether it is more useful than traditional ways...
DX's UI system is not suitable for me because it's too complicated...

As far as I can tell, IMGUI is a good option. I recently watched the online lecture from Molly Rocket and read through the SDL tutorial online. I was just starting the GUI for my demo the old way (iWidget<-cBaseWidget<-cButton, etc). Then I quickly reimplemented a couple of widgets using an IMGUI approach and it's going quite well. It seems to take less time and because it doesn't really follow OOD, you aren't worrying about changing something in a unified base class/interface that will propagate down and cause mischief. Although, it definitely feels a bit unusual to be storing a widget's state in 'client' code, but the results are positive so far.

I'd recommend taking a look at IMGUI as an approach, but as with everything in programming, there's more than one way to solve a problem.