Sign in to follow this  
supereclipse

Need a little advice.

Well im really looking into getting into the game dev. feild and im hoping to get into school around jan. My question is i live in the atlanta area and there are 2 such schools . One being westwood college and the other being art institute of atlanta and i was wondering if anyone had any first hand knowledge of the 2 or not. Maybe some help on making my decision. Thanks a lot everyone.

I can't speak for the entire industry but at my company Westwood college is an office joke. Though to be fair to the school, we still check on the Westwood job fair every year and see the work the students put out. We haven't found any students from Westwood yet that we thought were good enough to be hired as an entry level position.

My opinion, based entirely off graduating students and without looking at the curriculum, is to try the other school

Two things:

1) You don't need to go to a school that purports to be a "game development" school or have a "game development" program to into the game development industry (sometimes it is more desirable not to; it depends). This should expand you options beyond those two schools.

2) You don't have to consider schools in your immediate area. Look at schools that are far enough away that you might have to make a signifigant trek to get there. Not only will it give you some good experience, and expand you school options even further, you'll be moving when you get a job in the game development industry anyway. The industry is highly concentrated in a couple of distinct areas. Atlanta is not exactly a hot spot.

Well really. Hmmm something to think about the only bad thing is the fact that im actually moving from alabama to atlanta to get into this but i guess my options are a little smaller than i thought that kinda sux. I thank you for your help. If school isnt the best way to get in the what would be. Just actually going to try to get a job somewhere with no experience except playing lots of different games for many years?

Quote:

Well really. Hmmm something to think about the only bad thing is the fact that im actually moving from alabama to atlanta to get into this but i guess my options are a little smaller than i thought that kinda sux. I thank you for your help. If school isnt the best way to get in the what would be. Just actually going to try to get a job somewhere with no experience except playing lots of different games for many years?

Umm, no, you misunderstood me. School is very important. You need to go to college. You just don't have to go to a game development college. If you want to be a programmer, for example, you can get a software engineer or computer science or math degree. If you want to be an artist, you can go to an art school and get a BFA or something. But you have to get a degree.

Playing games has nothing to do with making games (not even for a QA tester, who must do much more than just "play games"). Playing games is not any kind of qualification and will not get you a job.

You have more options than you thought, not less. You can go to just about any college that will accept you and recieve an education that could prepare you for professional game development.

Okay i thought that sounded a little weird. Well yeah i guess i would have a lot more options then. I wont have to pay the outrageous price that some of these technical schools charge then. Okay good i could easily move once i got done with school but as of right now that option is not really on the table for me. I just purchased a house and all up there so. Thanks any other advice is more than welcome.