Sign in to follow this  
GPX

Looking for a good book covering 2D physics

The title pretty much sums it up. I've been searching amazon for the last hour, only to find most game development related books teach 3D rather than 2D. Not only that, but they all seem to be quite unpopular, with only few reviews, and mostly negative ones. So, I'm looking for a book teaching physics for game programming. I wouldn't mind it covering both 2D and 3D, but currently the 2D part interests me more. The things I'd like to have references to in the book are basicaly: newton mechanics, forces, springs, efficient collision detection, and how to implement all of these in a high level programming language. It'd be nice to have a book covering the creation of a sonic-like arcade game, for example. Thanks ahead.

I really liked Beginning Math and Physics for Game Programmers by Wendy Stahler. She covers all the basics and then slowly gets into topics discussing physics in both 2D and 3D environments. It's also great because it brings up how 2D is different then 3D and moves at a steady pace through each element. I really recommend you check it out.

Quote:
Original post by Rob Loach
I really liked Beginning Math and Physics for Game Programmers by Wendy Stahler. She covers all the basics and then slowly gets into topics discussing physics in both 2D and 3D environments. It's also great because it brings up how 2D is different then 3D and moves at a steady pace through each element. I really recommend you check it out.

I'll have to get that. I was very disappointed by Physics for Game Developers.

Quote:
Original post by Narcis
Comon', 2d physics can't be that hard can it? :P, http://jayisgames.com/archives/2004/08/2d_game_physics.php - 2D Game Physics 101. Hope it helps.

Thanks for the link, I forgot to mention links are greatly welcomed as well :-)
And yet, the stuff taught there is very basic... There's much more to learn ;-)

Quote:

Thanks for the advice, could you go into more detail? - mostly, what topics does the book cover?

There is only one "physics". Whether your vectors have two or three components is a matter of generalization/specialization. I would think most 3D physics books would derive something in 2D and then generalize to 3D, since it's easier to show how things work that way...

Quote:
Original post by GPX
Quote:
Thanks for the advice, could you go into more detail? - mostly, what topics does the book cover?
Although I don't have much time right now, I'd like to point you towards the Google Books Search. It lists both the table of contents and the index so you can have a look at what's included.