Learning to paint digitally

Started by
19 comments, last by Salsa 17 years, 7 months ago
Thanks. Very useful pointers and book recommendations.

(Brain can barely function. Going to bed. 'Night, all.)
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Oluseyi
Quote:Original post by slowpid
Also, try drawing from real life, not memory. Take for example your basketball player. It lacks in everything, but the one obvious (to me) huge flaw is in its motion. Although people might look at it and think, looks good, but slightly off. This is not in your 'lines' but his sense of motion, his pose. A closer look reveals (to me), that his weight is off center. This is caused by drawing him lunging with his left leg at the same time his left leg is moving foreward. In reality, we cannot run like this, (try running across your room like this). We counter the movement of our leg by moving our opposite arm, not our same arm.

While I appreciate the rest of your commentary, I think you're wrong here. In basketball, and in many other sports, we do very unnatural things by virtue of training or will. It's a very odd drawing to present because the movement in question is completely foreign to almost everyone who doesn't watch certain fringes of the sport: it's a test rendering from the midpoint of an animation sequence I'm planning in which a player takes the ball and wraps it around his back then through his legs while jumping - not running - forward, all as a means of getting past two defenders. To see moves like this in action, which are completely unnecessary and completely showy ([smile]), take a look at older footage of
#">Jason Williams when he was with the Sacramento Kings (the first two and last moves illustrate perfectly), or some of the ballhanders on the AND1 Mixtape Tour.

Those who have seen (or done) movements like this in a game will know that you usually are off-balance after the fact. If anything, the basketball player here is entirely too composed, making the pose insufficiently dynamic. Trust me, it's easier to wrap a ball around your back and through your legs, back-to-front, if your handling hand (in this case the right hand) is not also tasked with crossing your alternate-side leg (left here). In fact, doing it that way is damn near impossible in a full run: your limbs get in the way. Basically, your pivot foot must be the same side as your handling hand for a full wraparound.

I'd like to take a class at the School of Visual Arts, but I don't have the time this fall. Maybe in the spring. Any concrete pointers I can work on on my own?

yeah then, in that case I was wrong.

All of the above advice is quite sound, so I just circled in key problem areas of your renderings.

Also, the main problem with your basketball player isn't his weight being off-center, it's that it's not realistically distributed. The first thing you need to do is work on the anatomy of his legs. Right now, it doesn't make any sense (just look at his cannonball kneecaps in relation to his calves, which aren't functioning at all).

When illustrating these, the most important thing is motion and weight. Never forget that your characters still need to appear under the influence of gravity. Their muscles shouldn't be posed in such a way that they would appear underwater. They should be actively functioning and working.

Kult House - Fresh Production Media

Quote:Original post by Salsa
All of the above advice is quite sound, so I just circled in key problem areas of your renderings.

Also, the main problem with your basketball player isn't his weight being off-center, it's that it's not realistically distributed. The first thing you need to do is work on the anatomy of his legs. Right now, it doesn't make any sense (just look at his cannonball kneecaps in relation to his calves, which aren't functioning at all).

When illustrating these, the most important thing is motion and weight. Never forget that your characters still need to appear under the influence of gravity. Their muscles shouldn't be posed in such a way that they would appear underwater. They should be actively functioning and working.

That's extremely useful. Thanks. I'll probably try a do-over of those drawings with your (collective) comments in mind.

Here's another picture I started working on yesterday. I actually had some paint layers, but based on slowpid's and Professor420's comments I decided to focus on ensuring the form was right. The next step is to create an "ink" layer with fine outlines that will sit on top and act as a guide for the paints (which will have separate base, shadow and specular highlight layers, at least).

I'm struggling a little with posing the feet, but that aside, how's my form and pose? The far thigh seems a little odd to me.
Yeah, I think the far thigh should be lower and jut further out, so that it is logically connected to the torso at the pelvis and the thigh length is consistent with the near leg. I'll fix that when I get home (this is why I need a second, portable tablet).
to me, the arms seem wrong. I'm not sure how comfortable it would be to sit in that position without bracing an arm on the floor, instead of tucking them up to the face. But good job.
Eh, I tried a paintover but not only is painting naked women not going to be acceptable at work here, but I am totally swamped and best get back to work.

This is quick and dirty with a mouse, there are in actuallity more problems with it then your origional, I just did it to show how I think the pose needs to be altered, mainly her right arm, the left isn't really important.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Interesting, but not the direction I was looking for. Having her prop herself up due to stability concerns is less compelling that fixing the pose for stability. I'm interested in using her arms as a latticework to cover her breasts, for instance, and I like the notion of her face resting on her hands.

One fix would be having her lean forward/bend over slightly to compensate for an unstable center of gravity, as well as allow the knee remain in place while aligning the right (foreground) leg in a more comfortable and natural position.

Dammit, where are my nubile, nude female friends when I need them!
drawings are a bit too weak.
take classes like others said.
Quote:Original post by bigben85
drawings are a bit too weak.
take classes like others said.

Greater specificity would be appreciated.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement