Winsock and Norton Internet Security

Started by
2 comments, last by hplus0603 17 years, 7 months ago
I've just started to have a go at winsock programming, but every time I recompile the program, Norton asks me if I want to allow the program to network. I think it checks the creation date of the exe and if it's different to the date on the version already allowed then it re-asks. Is there any way to stop this other than by disabling Norton? It is sooooo annoying because Norton's alert dialog takes so long (well, a couple of seconds) to appear...precious seconds spent not coding [sad]. Degra
Advertisement
Do you already have a router between your computer and the internet? If so, that probably can serve as a firewall, and you can disable Norton.

Another popular utility that gets in the way of development is your virus scanner, as it often insists on scanning the EXE each time it's been re-linked, which also adds precious seconds to your start-up time.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Quote:Original post by hplus0603
Do you already have a router between your computer and the internet? If so, that probably can serve as a firewall, and you can disable Norton.

Another popular utility that gets in the way of development is your virus scanner, as it often insists on scanning the EXE each time it's been re-linked, which also adds precious seconds to your start-up time.

The router seems to get most stuff, but Norton still picks up quite a few attempted intrusions every day.

I've never had a problem with the virus-scanner, or at least if I do I haven't noticed it....yet.
Quote:Norton still picks up quite a few attempted intrusions every day.

I suggest you check the details of that. It's sometimes amusing what kinds of network packets they'll classify as "attempted intrusions" (no doubt in a marketing push to try to seem useful).

enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement