Game Name

Started by
11 comments, last by Pluvious 17 years, 7 months ago
I've been working on an online fantasy turn based strategy game called "Immortal Kingdoms". The game is a combination of strategy, tactical, and collectible card games. However, I have decided to eliminate the strategy part of the game (for now) and focus on the online battles. So, now I need to change the name of the game. I want the name to be easy to find on the search engines for people looking for duel games (card games) and tactics games...since this is the focus of the game. Here are some that I have that are available as domains. 1) dueltactics 2) duelmastertactics 3) tacticsduels 4) duellordtactics There is a psp game called duel master so I'm not sure about this one. Also, does anyone else have a better name idea than any of these (that isn't already in use)?
Advertisement
You're basing the name of game on available domain names? Not a route I'd choose
I too, would generaly not name my game based on availiable domain names, any reason why you are limited to those names?
Quote:Original post by programmer88
You're basing the name of game on available domain names? Not a route I'd choose

If it's a web-based game, then don't discount the domain name. While it's not critical, it's certainly as important as the game's name considering the context. Attracting an audience (and keeping it) is a bit about branding, and in this day-and-age, branding and (available) domain names go hand-in-hand.

@Pluvious: While I'm not familiar with the term "duel games" (is that what you'd call Magic: The Gathering, et al?), I'd be curious if there'd be any confusion between "dueltactics.com" and "dualtactics.com"...
Surely you want your game to be easy to find and easy to remember? Best bet is to pick a name you like and register it, both as a domain and subdomain of somewhere else. Register early to allow the webcrawlers time to digest. Throw a few external links from forum posts to the site - these work wonders. Using the subdomain is a neat trick to get easy Google ranking.

I did this with bloodspear.winterdyne.co.uk and bloodspear.co.uk.

The subdomain was registered first, and still dominates in google.

Winterdyne Solutions Ltd is recruiting - this thread for details!
Quote:Original post by Simagery
Quote:Original post by programmer88

If it's a web-based game, then don't discount the domain name. While it's not critical, it's certainly as important as the game's name considering the context. Attracting an audience (and keeping it) is a bit about branding, and in this day-and-age, branding and (available) domain names go hand-in-hand.

@Pluvious: While I'm not familiar with the term "duel games" (is that what you'd call Magic: The Gathering, et al?), I'd be curious if there'd be any confusion between "dueltactics.com" and "dualtactics.com"...

Yeah, the collectible card games are the same as "duel games" (like Magic the Gathering).

I wanted to include the words tactics and/or duel in my game name because it seems to help search engine ranking and should be more easy to find for people who search for tactics games (like final fantasy tactics) and card games (duel games like Magic the Gathering). I have found that because the online tactics/duel game market is still pretty thin (compared to rpg genres and others) that a context general name may be beneficial (possibly).

But I'm looking for input on if this is the best idea and what name might actually be the best.

[Edited by - Pluvious on September 6, 2006 6:50:04 PM]
I liked your layout for your game.
I didn't check out the demo, but I bet it plays nicely. Ya?
Name, Name, Hmm?

Before I come up with a name, I would like to ask you on what program did you choose for your game?

I would like to get my hands on a program like the one you used or something similar. The collectable card game I have designed is all hand drawn, handwritten and hand cut (to cut all 30,000 cards 3 Main Decks for 3 people to play with which only consists of 10,000 cards each.) The game is also a strategic warfare game. Its based on the China,Japan Ancient Warfare and lifestyle.

See what I mean when I say I would like to get my hands on a program to deal with all the cards for a pc game and also a table top card game.

Back to the Name Change,
1)Kingdom Of Fate
2)Battle Tactics

Wow Hehe, I can't think of any more at the moment.
Hope this helps a bit. If I come up with another name I will send it your way.
Keep up the great work.

See you in the Future of Gaming.
Riverside,Ca
Nickname: Bulldog
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
I liked your layout for your game.
I didn't check out the demo, but I bet it plays nicely. Ya?
Name, Name, Hmm?

Before I come up with a name, I would like to ask you on what program did you choose for your game?

I would like to get my hands on a program like the one you used or something similar. The collectable card game I have designed is all hand drawn, handwritten and hand cut (to cut all 30,000 cards 3 Main Decks for 3 people to play with which only consists of 10,000 cards each.) The game is also a strategic warfare game. Its based on the China,Japan Ancient Warfare and lifestyle.

See what I mean when I say I would like to get my hands on a program to deal with all the cards for a pc game and also a table top card game.

Back to the Name Change,
1)Kingdom Of Fate
2)Battle Tactics

Wow Hehe, I can't think of any more at the moment.
Hope this helps a bit. If I come up with another name I will send it your way.
Keep up the great work.

See you in the Future of Gaming.
Riverside,Ca
Nickname: Bulldog

The demo is old and buggy. It can show you how the game plays but it was just something about together months ago for people to look at. I will be putting my own website together in a couple months with some new screenshots and info on the game (these shots are old as well).

I didn't use any special program to make the game. Everything is from scratch. I have an artist who does all the images for me and I do the programming. It really isn't a card game though but a combination card game/tactics game with many new elements I have added. You don't play cards but instead have an army that is summoned by your deity to the battle (different characters) and these characters can all fight, cast spells, use items, etc.

I'm interested in your game. 30,000 cards? Pretty impressive. I was a big fan of the Romance of the 3 Kingdoms games in the past. As far as making your game for the computer I doubt I can help to much. Check out http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=magic/magiconline, poxnora.com, and http://www.astralmasters.com/ for examples of online card games though.
Thank You for the reply.
And yes its pretty impressive. I enjoy large game detail.
And thanks for the website info. I will check there later on tonight.
Good Job on your project.
And one more thing great art work as well. Keep it up.

BullDog
Sorry no email address.
ImmortalKingdomsOnline.com?

Dunno don't see why you think you have to change that ;)

I guess duelmasters is a tv show and duelist is a magazine... so those two are out...

With what you got I'd go with duel tactics.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement