• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Valderman

64 bit network counters on a 32 bit Linux

This topic is 4396 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm trying to get some network traffic stats from my router. It's a humble 32-bit machine, so unfortunately, the kernel's network counters are all 32 bit, causing them to wrap around every 2³² bytes/packets. Is there a patch or workaround for this? I found a patch for an older kernel, but since I'm no kernel hacker I don't believe I could rewrite it for my kernel without screwing something up. I though about writing a userspace program that checks the counters every 10 minutes or so, summing up all overflows, but perhaps something like this already exists? Anyway, what I need is something that'll let me collect network traffic stats over a long period of time, and that has counters of at least 64 bits. Any suggestions? The router is running Debian Stable, with kernel 2.6.8-3.

Advertisement
You can get 64-bit counts from iptables. The netfilter code apparently has its own 64-bit counters independent of the (interface?) counters elsewhere in the kernel.

I had no idea, but when I checked I saw you were right. Writing a script to extract the information should be easy now that I know where it is. Thanks!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!