Good Profiler(s) or Performance Analyzers?

Started by
2 comments, last by GameDev.net 17 years, 7 months ago
I've had my game out for a good year now, and after working in the industry professionally for a year, I finally have some time to get back to it. Before adding some new features to the game, I wanted to fine tune some of the older elements that may be bogging the game down. I'm fairly certain there is something I'm doing that is running slower than it should be, causing somewhat erratic frame loss. I'm not sure if it is in my drawing routine, AI, interface, or input handling (or something else). Can anyone recommend a good profiler or performance analyzer for a 3D game running with DirectX9 (coded in C++)?
------------------------------------------------------------GDC/IGF 2006 Student Showcase Submission: Curator Defense
Advertisement
Vtune or AMD Code Analyst are good non invasive profilers. Some games use built in timers as well to get higher level distribution of the frame time.
Thanks DrEvil; I'll give those a look, and see what I can come up with.
------------------------------------------------------------GDC/IGF 2006 Student Showcase Submission: Curator Defense
Using a combination of in engine/game and external profilers works best when properly applied. Your own should be fairly basic, relying on the big boys tools to profile more accurately later (profile near the end of your project i recommend).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement