Sign in to follow this  
Nokame

Setting up Display Mode

Okay... i'm getting pissed... this seems like it would be easy, but i can't find any example code... or tutorial on setting up my DirectDraw application to support 32 bit per pixel depth. Can someone point me to some code or tell me how? i am at Nokame@hotmail.com any help would be appreciated. I'm currently set up in 8 bit on my app and i got that code from a book... setting up a palette and all that crap. i was told that going for true-color 24/32bit makes it so you dont have to deal with palettes. so... currently i have....
for(index = 0; index < 256; index++)
{
  palette[index].peRed = rand()%256;
  palette[index].peGreen = rand()%256;
  palette[index].peBlue = rand()%256;
  palette[index].peFlag = PC_NOCOLLAPSE;
}
if(lpdd->CreatePalette(DDPCAPS_8BIT | DDPCAPS_INITIALIZE | DDPCAPS_ALLOW256,
                       palette, &lpddpal, NULL) != DD_OK)
  return(0);
if(lpddsprimary->SetPalette(lpddpal) != DD_OK)
  return(0);

then i load a bitmap... and load it into the use lpddpal->SetEntries(0,0,256,bitmap.palette); this sucks... i want to use RGB modes but i can't figure out what to do... i create the surface and use 800x600x16 or 24 or 32... but i dont know if i have to make a gradient like above? any help would be appreciated.

i know already that you dont need palette, but i still need to know the correct way to set up 32 bit depth in the application. I found a macro, and i set the
SetDisplayMode(screenw, screenh, 32); this isn't working all the way for me, it blits a bitmap but not correct color, and the bitmap is shrunk and showing four pictures of it.

Whatever the problem is, you are using SetDisplayMode correctly for setting up 32 bit colour mode so that line in isolation is not going to allow anyone to provide an answer.

A couple of random suggestions:

1) Can your hardware definately support the mode you are trying to set?
2) I note from your earlier posts you seemed to be loading the bitmaps using custom code. Are you sure the error is not in there somewhere? Does the problem go away if you load the bitmap with LoadImage then use the GDI and the DirectDrawSurface GetDC to copy the bitmap onto the surface? This would resolve issues such as loading a palettized image onto a true colour surface.