The Progress On My RPG

Started by
7 comments, last by OzzoNation 17 years, 7 months ago
Hello my friends. I just wanted to tell everyone thank you very much for all of your guidance and tips that has helped me the past 3 years on my programming quest. I have learned a very good chunk of C++ Programming, Computer Science, OpenGL, and 2D and 3D graphics theories. It has been a hard quest, but fun nonethe less. I present to you, the people of the Beginners Forum on Gamedev, the work I have put into an RPG. While it is not at the least finished, it has been a trip to get where I am at. Now the question comes.. For those of you who don't want to download it and look through my code, I have a TileMap Engine that can have any map loaded into it. Now, since it's not just a map that makes an RPG, there are many other things I could start working on. What should be next before anything else that I should program into the game. I have thought about doing the Dialogue and Menus, but that involves me learning how to put Fonts into OpenGL. This is a very possible thing to move on to, but there are others. I could start the battle system, or further programming into what I have. Could someone point me as to which I should move on to? I don't know if this is the right question to ask at this point in the game, or even whether or not I should have asked it. My Program can be downloaded from here: Crappy download Site Thanks in advance for any replies that are to come, if any.
Advertisement
When I first started it, I got about 20 "can't open texture" errors and about 4 "the map file isn't there" errors.

It still worked though, it just seemed to be missing all of the animations and all of the facing left images. The only thing that I can really say needs to be changed is adding smooth scrolling, but it's not a must.

It seems to be coming along nicely, keep up the good work!
Yes, The left is missing, and I can't make it because MS Paint disappeared on this computer. I have not imported this to my other computer yet, so there is no left. And smooth scrolling is on my list. I just finished the actual scrolling tonight.
Hi, I read that you created a RPG, but, I didn't understand if you created a game or an engine.
This is because I'm actually developing a RPG engine for graphics and all of the RPG stuffs using Allegro, so if you have some experience I would like to stay in touch with you, you might be a very good help for me!!
So, what do you say??
Maverickwww.sercasindustry.tk
Quote:Original post by Niddles
I have thought about doing the Dialogue and Menus, but that involves me learning how to put Fonts into OpenGL.

Could you use the SDL_TTF library for that?
-----------------------------;(I got something in my eye."You can call me a fat, balding, talentless old queen who can't sing—but you can't tell lies about me."-Elton John"When I was a kid I joined the circus. I did that. It is true. But it's not like you think. There was a guy, he had his own circus. His name was Carol Jacobs and he owned it. It was a small thing."-Christopher Walken"Victory becomes, to some degree, a state of mind. Knowing ourselves superior to the anxieties, troubles, and worries which obsess us, we are superior to them."-Basil King
Quote:Original post by OzzoNation
I have thought about doing the Dialogue and Menus, but that involves me learning how to put Fonts into OpenGL.

Nope; that's designed to draw on the 2d window, not a 3d accelerated window.

You might be able to use SDL_TTF to generate a surface containing all the letters and symbols that you use to create an OpenGL texture that you use to render text yourself, though.
...I can't make it because MS Paint disappeared on this computer.

Has the program gone or just the shortcut? The app can be found at 'WINDOWS\system32\mspaint.exe" (Start -> Run -> 'mspaint' would do the trick). If the file itself is gone, you can find it all over the internet, as it is a standalone exe. You may want to use your malware scanner before you go running any old executables though.

Of course, this post wouldn't be complete without the mandatory paint-bashing. There are dozens of far superior free alternatives to MS Paint. I highly recommend you check some out. The GIMP is very powerful, but perhaps overkill for your needs.

Regards
Admiral
Ring3 Circus - Diary of a programmer, journal of a hacker.
This is the engine, however me and a few of my friends are actually going to start making games. We have remnants of what could be considered a game design.
Quote:Original post by nagromo
Quote:Original post by OzzoNation

Nope; that's designed to draw on the 2d window, not a 3d accelerated window.

Alright, thanks.

-----------------------------;(I got something in my eye."You can call me a fat, balding, talentless old queen who can't sing—but you can't tell lies about me."-Elton John"When I was a kid I joined the circus. I did that. It is true. But it's not like you think. There was a guy, he had his own circus. His name was Carol Jacobs and he owned it. It was a small thing."-Christopher Walken"Victory becomes, to some degree, a state of mind. Knowing ourselves superior to the anxieties, troubles, and worries which obsess us, we are superior to them."-Basil King

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement