[web] Youtube-like website

Started by
24 comments, last by Nik02 17 years, 7 months ago
anyone here knows what is needed (server hardware) for this? what are some ways to save on bandwidth? (i know you need a lot of diskspace/bandwidth...anyone know exact hardware, line, etc. needed?) thanks.
Advertisement
First of all, this probably belongs in the Web Development forum (don't repost it; if the moderators feel that it should be in that forum, they will move it). Secondly, since YouTube (and Google Video, for that matter) already exist, why make another one?
You mean a site that can handle the traffic of Youtube or Google Video? You're talking about lots and lots and lots and lots of money.

I've was curious about their infrastructure at one point, and someone on some forum said that youtube is running on several hundred large servers with gbps connectivity, in several geographically strategic locations. I think the same people mentioned a $1M+/month figure for bandwidth alone.

Take it for what it's worth.
I believe I read somewhere that Facebook.com requires $40,000 a month in bandwidth alone for upkeep.

And we aren't even talking video...
anyone knows the setup/servers/bandwidth of such a site?

i know there are existing ones out there already...i'm not creating one...i'm looking at how they manage to do it and how to make it save bandwidth...

thanks.
Caching videos? I am not sure. I believe decreases video quality when you upload. Google videos has horrible quality... :(
YouTube's bandwidth is provided by Limelight Networks. If the one million dollar figure is correct then I know which company I would want to own.
i see, caching...how does one go about caching videos? where is it cached?

thanks!
I was hoping this was about hosting indie game demo-trailers [sad] oh well...

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Quote:Original post by nomadph
i see, caching...how does one go about caching videos? where is it cached?

thanks!

If there's any caching going on then it's with proxy servers. That doesn't lower the bandwidth though, it just spreads the load.

As for servers/bandwidth: Just do a calculation. x visitors times y video's per visitor times z Mb per video + 10% (site overhead) = guesstimate of bandwith. Do the same for hard drive space. If you do the video-to-flash transcoding on a different server then it doesn't need to be extremely fast. You will need tons of RAM though.

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement