Sign in to follow this  
Ebola0001

Explicit or Implicit GamePlay?

Ok, so I’m to the point in my first project where I have to start making some serious decisions as to where the game will head. I have my world, and i can move around in it and interact with things on a rudamentary level. And what I’m stuck on is should I focus mainly on explicit game play, a sort of go here and do this, type of thing. Or a more implicit style, these are things you can do in the world, and give them a more overarching goal, like make x amount of money? I understand there will be a mix of both, but which is more fun do you think?

Tastes vary.

What kind of game do you like to play?

It's probably easier to create a controlled environment ("go here, do that, ...") and make that fun, although it also consumes content at a higher pace (because once you've been there, you've seen that, and need another locale)

Some people prefer the explicit format, others prefer implicit. I personally enjoy both about equally, provided the game is well done.

I would personally recommend doing a controlled, explicit scenario first. Doing implicit designs is very, very hard and requires a lot of planning and meticulous testing to ensure a fun experience. Generally, it involves making a lot of subjective decisions, and the consequences may not always be clear. In my opinion these concerns aren't things you want to be facing for your first major design.

My vote is to go for a small, controlled game. Get that as polished as you can and finish it up nicely. Then you can start branching out a bit: do hybrid designs, introduce some additional non-linear elements to your designs, and so on. Work up to sandbox-style design and tackle one only after you've gotten some other projects under your belt, and you'll be well-equipped to make sure you end up with an enjoyable result.