• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SikCiv

Platform games - the best technique?

This topic is 6820 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
I am creating a platform game (like mario, DKC etc..) and I am trying to figure out the best way to blit the construction of the levels. I was wandering what technique most games use? The techniques I know are...
1- Store the objects in an array with their x and y position in the level, and at every frame test each object if its co-ords are on the screen, then blit it.
2- Create a grid of the level, then fill the grid with the objects, then at every frame, only look at the current screen area of the grid and blit.

Any ideas? I need performance basically.

Guest Anonymous Poster
This is what I do in my games,
I create a Large Array for each level,
Then each character in the array repersents a different picture. You can then write a function to animate the static pictures with a Timer, as I did, theres other ways to do it, but my game got GREAT performince, this was a DOS game, and I was getting over 80 fps.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!