Sign in to follow this  
LowRad0

[MDX] I get "Error in the Application" when trying to call Effect.FromFile

Hi all, I'm trying to implement shaders in my engine and i've got a problem. I've write some basic shaders with RenderMonkey and exported them to .fx. When i try to load them with a call to Effect.FromFile it fails with a Direct3DXException("Error in the application"). If i use glow.fx from the sdk it works. But, since even with dx debug crank up to the maximum and shader debugging enable i dont have any more informations. I'm wondering, if one of you, would have some tips about that kind of problem. (What can be the cause? Can i get more debug informations?) Thanks, Jonathan

Hummm!!!

I've reexported my shaders and now it works.

But, i'm still wondering if, the next time somethings similar happen, there's a way to output more debug messages than "Error in the Application"?

Thanks all,
Jonathan

Yep, you can enable the DirectX debug runtimes in your Windows Control panel and check the 'Enable unmanaged debugging' option on the debug tab of your project's property sheet in VS2005. With these settings you should receive a lot more information in your VS output window when debugging your project. Unfortunately this option is not available in the Express edition though afaik.

Hope this helps :)