Sign in to follow this  
adam23

Microsoft Certifications

I was wondering what everyone's take is on Microsoft Certifications. I want to get something that helps me stand out over others with BA degrees. Do employers look at these certifications as a means for being qualified, or are they meaningless in the video game industry? I'm thinking about training for MCAD or MCTS. Thanks in advance for any advice.

It depends on the hiring company really. Some companies put too much emphasis on them, some don't put any (I consider those the smart ones hehe). It definitely won't HURT you under any circumstance. The most important factor at hiring time is experience. If you're looking to get in the game industry improving your portfolio and projects will weigh a lot heavier than having certifications.

It's a personal decision that you will have to make weighing in time, cost, and reward.

I will say this, I know a lot of total dumbasses that have certifications up the yin yang, and I know a lot of programmers that are top-notch with no degree.

They've always really been meaningless in the game industry, and now they are becoming meaningless in business as well due to sites like CertNow where you can just buy certifications through a loophole. (and yes these are the actual certifications anybody would get actually doing the test)

If you want to stand out over others with a bachelors in comp sci I would recommend either pursuing a masters degree (although this obviously isn't a must have, but most importantly put together some nice demos, white papers, etc.