Macro problem (C++, VC6)

Started by
11 comments, last by NotAYakk 17 years, 7 months ago
I'm using a macro defined as such:

#define PROPERTY_EDIT(theVar, theLabel, theDesc) if (bInit)
	{
		CPropItem item;
		item.Type = 0;
		item.Label = theLabel ;
		item.Description = theDesc ;
		Items.push_back(item);
	} 
	else 
	{
		if (SLabel == theLabel )
		{
			eData-> theVar = szValue;
		} 
	}

Edit: I've got backslashes to escape the end of each line there, but it seems to mangle the formatting Then I use it like so:
PROPERTY_EDIT(m_Text, "bob", "Description");
However I get the following errors pointing to that line:
error C2065: 'm_Text' : undeclared identifier
error C2501: 'PROPERTY_EDIT' : missing storage-class or type specifiers
error C2078: too many initializers
error C2440: 'initializing' : cannot convert from 'char [12]' to 'int'
Weirdest is why the hell is it converting the "Description" string to an integer?? If I paste the code of what I'd expect it to expand to, this compiles fine without any problems:
	if (bInit)
	{
		CPropItem item;
		item.Type = 0;
		item.Label = "bob";
		item.Description = "Descriptive text";
		Items.push_back(item);
	}
	else
	{
		if (SLabel == "bob")
		{
			eData->m_Text = szValue;
		} 
	}

I cannot figure this one out, can someone show me whats wrong? Cheers
Construct (Free open-source game creator)
Advertisement
Got the books open, I'm working through it... bare with me...

EDIT: I'm still looking through it. Looks fine to me at the moment, checking a few more possibilites. However, this is an excerpt from "Practical C++":

WHEN TO USE MACROS

Macros can be useful for eliminating tedious, repetitive typing, and they are very important in C programming, but they have much less usefulness in C++ programming. Because macros reorganize source code text before the compiler sees it, they can cause problems that aren't readily apparent. In short, it's good to know how to create and use a macro, but don't use one unless you thinkn you have to.
"I'd rather know one thing, no matter how ordinary, than discourse endlessly on great issues." -- Galileo
I'm not sure why this isn't working for you off the top of my head, but may I suggest that use write a function for this instead of trying to make it into a macro? I believe that would be better in this situation. (unless you have a specific reason for not wanting to use a function)
I am going to have to agree with Svenjamin, a function to execute this code would definitely be more efficient here. I can't figure out what is wrong with the code, and I'm sure it's some very wierd problem. Make sure that when expanding macros on multiple lines, each backslash is followed by a hard return, and that there is no backslash on the last line in the macro (i.e)

EDIT: I see what you mean about the backslash problems... ah well, I think you get the point.

Lastly, try surrounding the entire macro in curly braces (i.e. { if(bInit) ... }})

That may work, other than that, I'd really suggest a function instead.
"I'd rather know one thing, no matter how ordinary, than discourse endlessly on great issues." -- Galileo
Hey i'm working on this project with Ash, the reason it really would be incovenient to be a function is because this is an SDK, and each 'PROPERTY_XXX', in this case 'EDIT' are in a sort of property map.

It'd be really good if someone could try compiling this in VS 2005 and seeing if it's a VC6 error, or something else

Thanks
I have VS2005 in which I could compile it, however, I don't have the definitions of the classes that are used, or the code preceeding and following this code. How large is the source at the moment?

EDIT: I'll see if I can't create an empty class with similar names and try that.
Nah, I'm going to need the source, atleast the definitions of CPropItem, Items, eData, etc... all the stuff contained in the sample. However, running that code alone, all I'm getting are "Undeclared Identifiers", which means the macro may be working fine under VS2005
Thanks for giving it a go, here are the simplified definitions:

class editTime
{
public:
EINFO* objectData;
};

struct EINFO
{
CString m_Text;
};

struct CPropItem
{
int Type;
CString Label;
CString Description;
};

a test set of using the macro:

BEGIN_PROPERTY_TABLE();
PROPERTY_EDIT(m_Text, "A", "B");
END_PROPERTY_TABLE();

and the entire macro:

#define BEGIN_PROPERTY_TABLE() void WINAPI ETOnPropertyChanged(editTime* editObject, LPCSTR szLabel, LPCSTR szValue, bool bInit, vector& Items) { CString SLabel = szLabel;
#define PROPERTY_EDIT(paramV, paramL, paramD) if (bInit) { CPropItem item; item.Type = 0; item.Label = paramL ; item.Description = paramD ; Items.push_back(item); } else { LPEINFO eData = editObject->objectData; if (SLabel == paramL ) { eData-> paramV = szValue; } }
#define END_PROPERTY_TABLE() CPropItem End; End.Type = -1; if (bInit) Items.push_back(End); } \
There are two separate issues here: one, you're using VC6, and two, you're using macros. Fix the former first, it'll be easier, and may make fixing the latter unneccessary.

CM
Do you have the definition, or know the include file for CString?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement