what to wear to interview?

Started by
17 comments, last by Arild Fines 17 years, 7 months ago
I would wear a suit, not to be pretentious or anything, but because that's my personal aesthetic. If I arrived at the environment and it seemed much more casual, I'd remove my jacket and hold it slung over my shoulder or draped over my knee.

However, you were specifically told to avoid the tie and suit. Button-up shirt and slacks, with a pair of good work shoes (think wing tips). Go get 'em!
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by eedok
Quote:Original post by BloodWarrior
I like places where you dont have to wear suits all day. I reckon I would die if i had to dress properly every day.

nothing like nude programming

Hell Yeah! Al fresco! Cooling is essential not only for your CPU but also for yourself!
(oh gods I just had a flash vision of what would the office like if all of us were naked... someone please hand me a fork I want to poke my eyes out!)

By the way, like the previous guys said: make sure you wear good shoes and not scruffy looking trainers. And get a nice haircut! Clean is better than formally dressed but looking like havent showered in a week.
Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.Unknown
Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm not too worried about the clothes, just didn't want want to go too far in either direction. Now...time to shower-up and hit it.
Quote:Original post by distortion
Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm not too worried about the clothes, just didn't want want to go too far in either direction. Now...time to shower-up and hit it.

Good luck. If you get the job, chances are you wont have time to shower for a while...
Quote:Original post by hplus0603
I would wear a pair of slacks ... a polo shirt ... a pair of Ecco City Walkers or something along that line. ... a tie would sometimes make you fit in better.

That's a (loose) business casual, although I prefer a button up shirt. I love dressing that way because it works well almost everywhere. Keep a tie in the car, just in case.

The basic rule for the dress code is "no wrinkles, no stains, and nice enough that you wouldn't do yard work in it."
Where was the interview at?
American Eagle. Look sharp, look contemporary, look casual, look conservative, look professional.
I usually wear Business Casual, or (more frequently), Jeans & Longsleeve Shirt.
Usually single colour leather shoes.

A good hint is to drop by the company's reception desk on a weekday and check out what people are wearing. That way, you're unlikely to underdress.
I recommend wearing clothes.
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement