what to wear to interview?

Started by
17 comments, last by Arild Fines 17 years, 7 months ago
I've got an interview with a well-known developer tomorrow. I'll be there all day, and I was told to avoid the suit and tie and dress "comfortably and casually." I was thinking a good pair of jeans and a dark-blue, button-down shirt with a black t-shirt under it. Am I under/over dressing? On the website, the developers seem wear mostly t-shirts w/ jeans or casual collared shirts w/ jeans (like my blue shirt).
Advertisement
Sounds fine to me. Any interview I've been have been very casual like that.
Frequently Asked Question #4 (http://www.sloperama.com/advice/jobapp.htm) - see line item #9.

Good luck with the interview.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I like places where you dont have to wear suits all day. I reckon I would die if i had to dress properly every day.

Good luck with your interview and my personal advice is go for smart casual. Its probably better to err on the side of well dressed than to show up really scruffy looking (which is what i usually look at work... then again the suit i bought for the interview was quite a bundle!)

Yours Truly
K
Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.Unknown
Yeah, I'd say go with some nice but casual khakis and a nice but casual shirt tucked. You want to look like you would fit in both at a nice restaurant and/or at a ball game... you certainly don't want to look like the interviewer's boss. There's that middle ground that isn't pretentious, but goes well in any situation.
The range I have seen:

Low end:

Interviewee appears to not shower for a few days before the interview. Shows up in a white tshirt covered in stains. This is the only time I have ever seen cloths count against someone. He didn't get the job.

High end:

Interviewee shows up in a full on suit, a few sizes too big. People were amused, but he was memorable. Didn't count against him, but I think he was a bit uncomfortable as everyone else was much more casual. He got the job.

Depending on the place, if you are wearing a button down shirt, you will probably be at the mid to upper level in appearance. What you have planned sounds fine. Just be sure you are comfortable in it. If you are interviewing for a public face/manager position, dress matters much more than a less public position.
Quote:Original post by BloodWarrior
I like places where you dont have to wear suits all day. I reckon I would die if i had to dress properly every day.

nothing like nude programming

If you're going to be working in-house e.g. a non client facing role then wear what you find comfortable and smart. They're not going to be looking for a keen sense of style unless you're applying for an artistic/style driven position. What they kill be looking for are simple signs that you can look after yourself so make sure your clothes are clean, t-shirts are ironed, shoes aren't caked with mud and dirt etc.

Wearing a suit to work isn't so bad, I have to match the company I'm out working with and fortunately they're fairly relaxed so it's trousers and shirt (no tie, woo!) at the moment.
I would wear a pair of slacks (like Dockers), a polo shirt (in a color that complements you), and NO SNEAKERS. Shoes really make the man :-) Try a pair of Ecco City Walkers or something along that line.

With that dress code, I've gone all the way from rowdy beer bashes to meetings with congresspeople, and never been way out of line in clothing (although, on the east coast circuit, a tie would sometimes make you fit in better).
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
I was in the same situation a few weeks back. I decided on wearing a wear a pair of slacks, button-down shirt, and shoes. When I got there almost everyone was wearing jeans and t-shirt, but I didn't feel under or over dressed.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement