C# string/stringreader help needed (how to read each line from a string?)

Started by
2 comments, last by ranakor 17 years, 7 months ago
i'm having trouble figuring out how to read each line from a string i have a string created from a file (it contains the whole multi-line file content) but neither string nor stringreader seems to have a lines property or anything i could use to know when i'm done reading the last line (so i have no idear how i could use stringreader.readline to read all lines in the string since i don't know when i got to the last one & will get an exception) is there any standard way to do this or am i supposed to get the linecount from the file or watch for an exception or something?
Advertisement
Edit I just reread your post what I did is add END to the end of my file and when I read that from the file I knew it was done. I also have seen people check to see if readLine() returns null.

Here is a sample that I did to load a list of waypoints to a file. This was a console app I made to test my class for a game I am making.

class Program    {        static void Main(string[] args)        {            Console.WriteLine("Loading Level");            Level lev = new Level();        }    }    class Level    {        Waypoints tmp;        ArrayList currentWaypoints;        StreamReader file;        public Level()        {            Console.WriteLine("In Level Constructor");            LoadLevel1();        }        private void LoadLevel1()        {            file = new StreamReader("level1.txt");            tmp = new Waypoints();            currentWaypoints = new ArrayList();            tmp.setLeft(8);            tmp.setRight(47);            currentWaypoints.Add(tmp);            string nextString = file.ReadLine();            Console.WriteLine(nextString);            if (nextString.Contains("Waypoint"))            {                while (nextString != "END")                {                    tmp.setRight(99);                    tmp.setLeft(99);                    tmp.setDown(99);                    tmp.setUp(99);                    if (nextString.Contains("Vector"))                    {                        int x, y;                        int beginningOfX = nextString.IndexOf('x')+1;                        int beginningOfY = nextString.IndexOf('y', beginningOfX)+1;                        x = Convert.ToInt32(nextString.Substring(beginningOfX, beginningOfY - beginningOfX - 1));                        y = Convert.ToInt32(nextString.Substring(beginningOfY));                        Console.Write("Position.x = ");                        Console.WriteLine(x + 64);                        Console.Write("Position.y = ");                        Console.WriteLine(y + 64);                    }                    nextString = file.ReadLine();                    int nextNode = 0;                    while (!nextString.Contains("Waypoint") && nextString != "END")                    {                        if (nextString.Contains("Up"))                        {                            nextNode = Convert.ToInt32(nextString.Substring(3));                            tmp.setUp(nextNode);                        }                        if (nextString.Contains("Down"))                        {                            nextNode = Convert.ToInt32(nextString.Substring(5));                            tmp.setDown(nextNode);                        }                        if (nextString.Contains("Left"))                        {                            nextNode = Convert.ToInt32(nextString.Substring(5));                            tmp.setLeft(nextNode);                        }                        if (nextString.Contains("Right"))                        {                            nextNode = Convert.ToInt32(nextString.Substring(6));                            tmp.setRight(nextNode);                                                    }                        Console.WriteLine(nextNode);                        nextString = file.ReadLine();                    }                    currentWaypoints.Add(tmp);                }            }//End while            file.Close();            Console.WriteLine("Total Size of ArrayList is");            Console.WriteLine(currentWaypoints.Count);        }    }}

This is what a portion of my file looks like

Waypoint 1 Vector x17 y17
Right 2
Down 5
Waypoint 2 Vector x97 y17
Right 3
Down 4
Waypoint 3 Vector x129 y17
Left 2
Waypoint 4 Vector x97 y49
Right 38
Left 63
Waypoint 5 Vector x17 y81
Right 6
Down 7
Waypoint 6 Vector x65 y81
Up 63
Down 12
Adamhttp://www.allgamedevelopment.com
Reading the file one line at a time is probably the best method. However there is no need to use an "END" string, the StreamReader.ReadLine method will return null when the end of the stream is reached.
thank you both (i'm mostly learning the basics so my books don't go that in depth & most of the api's function i get from intellisence & the comment on readline didn't specify it would return null, thanks for putting with me & the help ratings++inc)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement