Anyone familiar with Managed DirectX deployment?

Started by
7 comments, last by vermilion_wizard 17 years, 7 months ago
Say, I write an application which is .NET 2.0, and uses MDX 1.1, the June 2006 SDK. Now I copy this application to another computer, install the .NET framework 2.0 and DirectX9.0c, and use the dxredist package to install the June 2006 files. But it still doesn't run... Has anyone done this sort of thing before? What is the resolution? Or what am I missing?
Advertisement
What kind of error do you get? Is the other system a 64-bit one?

It just gives me the generic windows error dialog. "BallBuster.net has encountered a problem and needs to close.."

The system is not 64 bit, it's a bit older.

Some more testing makes me think this really isn't a deployment issue. The AudioVideoPlayback component seems to be having trouble loading a .ogg file.
The PC's application log may be able to give you a more useful error message.

Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Event Viewer->Application Log
I resolved the issue by putting error checking in the program around loading and using music files, so if it can't load them it will not crash. But now I am wondering what is required for it to load Ogg Vorbis files? I guess I might have to write my own decoder. I don't understand why it works on my development machine and not another machine.
Assuming AudioVideoPlayback uses DirectShow internally, I believe you'll need some Ogg vorbis filter installed on the target machine to allow playback.

Probably so. I wonder if it would be better to write or use a .NET ogg decoder, and just use a SecondaryBuffer to play it instead. Not having to install another component would probably be a good thing, I think.
If you do that, you should host it somewhere.

Has anyone set up a good .NET game development resources site, for libs and whatnot that people write and want to share? That could be handy. With XNA out, people will be looking to the community for pure managed libs and things.
http://thezbuffer.com/categories/engines.aspx has a list of some engines. Several of the links are outdated though, I think.

the reason I was concerned about deployment issues was I was testing my own .NET game library. A computer specific problem with playing back ogg files is a lot better not being able to deploy something like that at all.

A .net ogg decoder would be a good sourceforge project, I think.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement