Sign in to follow this  
daniel_i_l

making Windows "tools"

I already know (not an expert or anything) C++ and want to learn another language, one of the main things that i want it to be better at than C++ is making tools for windows (using menus, buttons, listboxes, scrollers...). I found that it took me quite a long time to do these thing in C++ so i'd want it to be easier in the other language. but i don't ONLY want to be able to make tools with it. So far i was thinking about C# and VisualBasic. Does anyone use VB anymore? is it as easy to make tools with C# as it is with VB, or is it atleast easier than with C++? What do you guys recommend that i learn next? Thanks.

I recommend C# over Visual Basic. Other options might include Python with the wxPython library (it's portable).

However, you can use managed C++ on Windows in Visual Studio, and it'll have the same GUI editor as C# and Visual Basic .NET, and sit on top of the same .NET 2.0 framework. C# has nicer syntax for events and properties, though.

Thanks for the advice. i think that i'll download C# Express cause it's free.
Does the GUI editor also come for free or would i have to buy VisualStudio for that? Are there other free editors?
Thanks.

I know you say you don't just want to create tools, but I have to recommend Borland C++ Builder for a very fast and easy way to throw Windows apps together without having to stray away from C++.

I should probably learn C# and Windows Forms for these purposes as well but if you are in a hurry to get some tools together using visual controls and don't have the time to learn a new language, it is incredibly easy to use.