Good Tutorials/Books on Software 3D Engines?

Started by
4 comments, last by C0D1F1ED 17 years, 7 months ago
Hi, Could you reccomend any good tutorials/books for software 3d engines? I.e no opengl/dx api usage, but done purely by transofrming everything yourself, projecting it, then blitting your tris. I have searched google, but to my surprise I could find nothing other than one sparse tutorial that had nothing but a few paragraphs on 3d projection. Maybe I just suck at google?
Advertisement
This classic walks you through a camera model, scan-line rendering, line drawing, clipping, Gouraud and Phong shading, and shadows (and much more...):
http://www.amazon.com/Computer-Graphics-Principles-Practice-2nd/dp/0201848406
Quote:Could you reccomend any good tutorials/books for software 3d engines? I.e no opengl/dx api usage...

Software rendering does not exclude the use of an API: SwiftShader.

Anyway, you're probably looking for things like this:
Viewing in 3D
Perspective Texture Mapping
Advanced Rasterization
Tricks of the 3D Programming Gurus
Yep agreed, I just meant no hardware accelerated api.

I only need this for a intro to my game, want it to a real retro flavour coupled with some sampled starflight 2 music.(Amiga version)

Thanks for the suggestions.

Speaking of APIS, are there any to simplfy the process of software rendering? Other than swift render? SwiftRender is a wrapper/replacement for dx and I'd rather just have a handful of useful functions like DrawPolyToMemory Project3DPointTo2D() etc.

Then you might be interested in Muli3D. It's entirely written in C/C++, has full documentation and an easy API, and is quite powerful to boot.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement