DirectX or OpenGL!!

Started by
14 comments, last by DeathLetum 17 years, 7 months ago
Ok what would be the best one to make a 2d iso for a (Massively multiplayer online roleplaying game)and in the future some other online games. i would like to hear the pro and cons if there are any.
Advertisement
Neither is the best. Just pick the one you are most familiar with. If you aren't familiar with either, then just pick one -- it doesn't really matter.
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
is there pro and cons for them.?
Flip a coin, heads for OpenGL or tails for DirectX

Each has their own quirks which you will have to lookup yourself because some people will prefer OpenGL to DirectX or the otherway round.

You could do your MMORPG with either.

There is an entire article posted on this matter regarding "Direct3D vs OpenGL". However, let's be serious:

If you know your ins-and-outs of doing graphics, either one will suit you fine, because neither specializes in a direct route to do isometric graphics (in other words, you either know your linear algebra, ratios and trigonometry, or you don't).

The way you stated "DirectX or OpenGL" in this matter means you aren't aware that DirectX is a collection of different APIs; what you really should have said was Direct3D, which specializes in 3 and 2 dimensional graphics. This sort of mistake can mean one of these two things: You're ignorant of DirectX, or (the more probable one) you've never even attempted to use either one and therefore are using "DirectX" and "OpenGL" as buzz-words with not much previous research (ergo: reading up on MSDN and a few shitty tutorials (minus NeHe's)). Not doing much research leads me to believe you aren't a competent enough programmer to do such a task.. and then we aproach the finesse of your question:

Quote:Massively multiplayer online roleplaying game

I'll let you solve that one on your own.
Quote:Original post by Jovan
The way you stated "Direct3D or OpenGL" in this matter means you aren't aware that DirectX is a collection of different APIs; what you really should have said was Direct3D, which specializes in 3 and 2 dimensional graphics. This sort of mistake can mean one of these two things: You're ignorant of DirectX, or (the more probable one) you've never even attempted to use either one and therefore are using "DirectX" and "OpenGL" as buzz-words with not much previous research (ergo: reading up on MSDN and a few shitty tutorials (minus NeHe's)). Not doing much research leads me to believe you aren't a competent enough programmer to do such a task.. and then we aproach the finesse of your question:

What he really should have said was "DirectGraphics" since version 8 or so. But we are not here to discourage the guy from experimenting with stuff. When I started with Direct3D I didn't "know my graphics stuff" either but by experimenting I learned.

Therefore, what is wrong with telling him what to use or telling him that it doesn't matter? He'll find out quickly enough if he's up for it or not but I don't think we are in a position to doubt his competence because in this case, it really doesn't matter whether he's competent or not. He just wants to learn an API and asks which one is best.

Personally, I think you can just pick one of them. If you want to be less platform-bound I suggest you take OpenGL but if windows is fine for you you can just as well go with Direct3D.

Quote:Original post by rogierpennink
Quote:Original post by Jovan
The way you stated "Direct3D or OpenGL" in this matter means you aren't aware that DirectX is a collection of different APIs; what you really should have said was Direct3D, which specializes in 3 and 2 dimensional graphics. This sort of mistake can mean one of these two things: You're ignorant of DirectX, or (the more probable one) you've never even attempted to use either one and therefore are using "DirectX" and "OpenGL" as buzz-words with not much previous research (ergo: reading up on MSDN and a few shitty tutorials (minus NeHe's)). Not doing much research leads me to believe you aren't a competent enough programmer to do such a task.. and then we aproach the finesse of your question:

What he really should have said was "DirectGraphics" since version 8 or so. But we are not here to discourage the guy from experimenting with stuff. When I started with Direct3D I didn't "know my graphics stuff" either but by experimenting I learned.

Therefore, what is wrong with telling him what to use or telling him that it doesn't matter? He'll find out quickly enough if he's up for it or not but I don't think we are in a position to doubt his competence because in this case, it really doesn't matter whether he's competent or not. He just wants to learn an API and asks which one is best.

Personally, I think you can just pick one of them. If you want to be less platform-bound I suggest you take OpenGL but if windows is fine for you you can just as well go with Direct3D.

Excellent point (but DirectDraw is pretty much obselete by now (you can use it, but why bother when D3D is more flexible with it)). Unfortunately I hate to tether on, but being competent is the difference between using search and not. The bloody box is staring you in the face. You are however once again right on the part that we shouldn't doubt/judge; but we all know whats going on when a person posts in beginner's section and coins the abbreviation 'mmo'.
If you're making a 2D game, many people recommend SDL.
The only (significant) difference between D3D and OGL is that D3D is a proprietary MS API, that is only supported on Windows and the XBoxes, while OGL is an open standard, currently mandated by the Khronos group and is supported on Windows, Linux (and other *nixes) and Mac.
If portability matters to you - choose OGL. Otherwise - just flip a coin.
Quote:Original post by Mo6eB
...while OGL is an open standard, currently mandated by the Khronos group...

I don't think Khronos control the OpenGL standard in any way. I think they have a few 'standards' of their own which are based on OpenGL though.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement