• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
DeathLetum

DirectX or OpenGL!!

This topic is 4426 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Quote:
Original post by Kylotan
Quote:
Original post by Mo6eB
...while OGL is an open standard, currently mandated by the Khronos group...

I don't think Khronos control the OpenGL standard in any way. I think they have a few 'standards' of their own which are based on OpenGL though.

Well if you recall, there was a front page news item a while ago, which stated that the ARB had retired in favour of Khronos, since they were doing a better job. Which basically puts Khronos in charge.

Has it ever been considered that the FAQ might benefit from an entry on this topic? I mean a simple even-handed comparison (i.e. procedural vs COM based, cross-platform vs Windows and XBox only), followed by an injunction to just flip a coin. It would provide a simple place to direct newbies' attention, and might save us from a lot of vs wars.

Advertisement
Don't use either. Iris GL will surpass them both soon enough. If pressed I'd say Programmer's Hierarchical Interactive Graphics System (PHIGS) would be my second choice.

Quote:
Original post by swiftcoder
Has it ever been considered that the FAQ might benefit from an entry on this topic? I mean a simple even-handed comparison (i.e. procedural vs COM based, cross-platform vs Windows and XBox only), followed by an injunction to just flip a coin. It would provide a simple place to direct newbies' attention, and might save us from a lot of vs wars.

There is an entry in the FAQ expressing the forum's stance.

Quote:

The infamous "this" vs. "that" threads are considered flame bait. If you're debating between OpenGL and DirectX or C vs. C++, please try to refrain from creating "which one should I choose" or "which one is better" threads. These threads usually turn into an argument and rarely lead to any kind of conclusion. The best way to find out if something is right for you, is to try it for yourself or at the very least, spend some time researching the pros and cons.

I would have to agree with it.

Quote:
Original post by swiftcoder
Well if you recall, there was a front page news item a while ago, which stated that the ARB had retired in favour of Khronos, since they were doing a better job. Which basically puts Khronos in charge.

I don't see any evidence of this on either the Khronos site or OpenGL.org.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!