Learning GLSL or CG

Started by
4 comments, last by Expandable 17 years, 7 months ago
Could anyone point me towards really good GLSL tutorials? Or CG? I found cgshaders.org is no longer active, and I am wondering if the community went somewhere else, or simply stopped existing. I have been programming for a while, and managed to teach myself C++ and openGL from the odd book, but mostly online sources, especially for Opengl with well written tutorials over at Gametutorials and Nehe. Now I am at the stage where I need to learn GLSL in order to go further with Opengl, but I am struggling to find GLSL online info that goes further than lighting and shadows. There is quite alot of raw info out there, with quite technical data, but I have always found tutorials that do something, and explain how they did it, to be the best way for me to learn. But anything more than the lighthouse would be really welcome. Could anyone point me to where I need to be? I have googled, but the results are not too great, and we all know google often miss the best sites :)
Advertisement
This is a good tutorial. I learned all GLSL basics from there:

http://www.lighthouse3d.com/opengl/glsl/
Quote:
But anything more than the lighthouse would be really welcome.

>_>
I've stoped searching and ordered the orange book from amazon.

OpenGL(R) Shading Language (2nd Edition) (Paperback)

I've heard good things about it.

But I am still looking for good pointers from anyone else who knows a site with great info.

Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Quote:
But anything more than the lighthouse would be really welcome.

>_>

lol ooops

I somehow didn't read that sentence ;o) But lighthouse should be more than enough. I mean, what kind of information are you hoping to find? There are the specs, which tell you everything you need to know, and there are tutorials, which are less detailed but help you to get started. If you can just work with the specs, that's best (saves you a lot of time and you learn most). If you even have problems with relativly simple tutorials, then graphics programming might not be the right thing for you. Setting up GLSL shaders is not what graphics programming is about. It'll get way more complicated...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement