Sign in to follow this  
_Sergey_

LinderScript virtual machine: feedback wanted

For some time i've been working on a virtual machine integrated into my engine (http://www.linderdaum.com) capable of such features as: 0) UnrealScript-looking object model 1) inherit script classes from native C++ classes 2) allow mixed classes (part of the classe's methods are written in C++, part in script) 3) allow transparent usage of scripted classes in C++ code 4) allow fast methods invokation 5*) latent functions - this one is still been discussed and under construction The scripting system is called LinderScript and it is part of the Linderdaum Engine. It has far more advanced features than usual standalone scripting systems could provide. The LinderScript Run-Time is the heart of the Linderdaum Engine and provides a metaclasses management facilities. Well, it is inseparable from the engine, but as a plus we have a bunch of features which any standalone scripting system is unable to provide: purely object-oriented solution where one can derive scripted classes from native C++ ones, there is no difference for the engine if some class contains scripted methods or not, in derived classes you can override some methods with LinderScript or leave them as inherited C++ methods at your own will. All this stuff is handled at the lowest level inside the engine so any engine’s class could be extended or rewritten using LinderScript. At the same time the performance of the LinderScript is comparable to Python. Could you have a look at it and maybe recommend some future extensions, point to the pitfalls and so on ;) Source code FAQ Doxygen-generated documentation [Edited by - _Sergey_ on September 26, 2006 2:19:36 AM]

I suspect many people do not have time to read and conceptualize the source... you will probably get more responses if you ask specific questions about smaller aspects of your design (after describing how you implemented them), rather than asking for general comments about a huge chunk of your code.

Now for me one of the most important things is - how typesafe is this code and what is possible to improve:

#include <memory>
#include <vector>

class iParameter;

typedef std::vector<iParameter*> clParametersList;

class iParameter
{
public:
iParameter() {};
virtual ~iParameter() {};
//
// iParameter
//
virtual LString GetParamType() const = 0;
virtual int GetParamSize() const = 0;
virtual void ReadValue(const void* UntypedNativeBlock) = 0;
virtual void* GetNativeBlock() = 0;
virtual void PushToStack(iStack* Stack) const = 0;
virtual void PopFromStack(iStack* Stack) = 0;
};

class clStringParameter: public iParameter
{
public:
//
// iParameter interface
//
virtual LString GetParamType() const { return "STRING"; } ;
virtual int GetParamSize() const { return sizeof(LStringBuffer); };
virtual void ReadValue(const void* UntypedNativeBlock)
{
FString = *reinterpret_cast<const LString*>(UntypedNativeBlock);
}
virtual void* GetNativeBlock()
{
return &FString;
}
virtual void PushToStack(iStack* Stack) const
{
LStringBuffer Buffer = FString.GetStringBuffer();

Stack->Push( Buffer );
}
virtual void PopFromStack(iStack* Stack)
{
LStringBuffer Buffer = Stack->Pop<LStringBuffer>();

FString = LString( Buffer );
}
private:
LString FString;
};

class clScriptedPODParameter: public iParameter
{
public:
clScriptedPODParameter(int Size):FSize(Size), FParameter( malloc(Size) ) {};
virtual ~clScriptedPODParameter() { free(FParameter); };
//
// iParameter interface
//
virtual LString GetParamType() const { return "SCRIPTED_POD"; } ;
virtual int GetParamSize() const { return FSize; };
{
memcpy( FParameter, UntypedNativeBlock, FSize );
}
{
return FParameter;
}
{
Stack->PushBytes( FSize, FParameter );
}
{
Stack->PopBytes( FSize, FParameter );
}
private:
int FSize;
void* FParameter;
};

template <class T> class clPODParameter: public clScriptedPODParameter
{
public:
clPODParameter():clScriptedPODParameter( sizeof(T) ) {};
};

template <typename T> class clPointerParameter: public iParameter
{
public:
clPointerParameter():FPointer(NULL) {};
//
// iParameter interface
//
virtual LString GetParamType() const { return "PTR"; } ;
virtual int GetParamSize() const { return sizeof(T*); };
{
FPointer = *reinterpret_cast<T**>( const_cast<void*>( UntypedNativeBlock ) );
}
{
return &FPointer;
}
{
Stack->Push<T*>( FPointer );
}
{
FPointer = Stack->Pop<T*>();
}
private:
T* FPointer;
};

#define PARAMETER( selector, type ) typename SelectType< TypeTraits<T>::selector, type,

#define PTR_TRAITS typename ::LEngine::Utils::TypeTraits<T>::PointeeType
#define REF_TRAITS typename ::LEngine::Utils::TypeTraits<T>::ReferredType

using namespace ::LEngine::Utils;

template <class T>
struct ParameterType
{
typedef
PARAMETER( IsString, clStringParameter )
PARAMETER( IsReference, clPODParameter<REF_TRAITS> )
PARAMETER( IsPointer, clPointerParameter<PTR_TRAITS> )
PARAMETER( IsFundamental, clPODParameter<T> )
// defaule
clPODParameter<T>
>::Result
Type;
};

template <class T> inline iParameter* CreateNativeParameter()
{
return new (typename ParameterType<T>::Type);
}

template <class T> inline iParameter* CreateInvokeParameter(T P)
{
iParameter* Param = CreateNativeParameter<T>();

Param->ReadValue( &P );

return Param;
}

The purpose of this is to allow typesafe parameters transfer from native methods into scripted and back.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by 0xCHAOS
I suspect many people do not have time to read and conceptualize the source... you will probably get more responses if you ask specific questions about smaller aspects of your design (after describing how you implemented them), rather than asking for general comments about a huge chunk of your code.

agreed, VERY few people are likely to spend any significant amount of time trying to understand your source code in order to come up with suggestions for improvements, be specific and we'll be specific in your questions, be coarse and we'll be, too.

[quote]Original post by Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by 0xCHAOS
VERY few people are likely to spend any significant amount of time

Does this mean, that most people will more likely use any ready out-of-the-box solution instead of trying to learn and create there own one? Seems so from my experience...

Guest Anonymous Poster
nope, this was merely referring to the requested FEEDBACK not to actually using your code-however, using it as well as providing feedback would be more straightforward to do, if there was some basic background information-I mean more than just the source, which has to be looked at, read, understood.

Yeah, no offense, but if I am not intending to use the code (I choose a different scripting route) but would be happy to give feedback on your "design", I am not going to parse source code in order to do that. I read your topic assuming you would be presenting designs, not source code.

Btw, isn't it a little late in the process to be requesting feedback on your "design". What is the design, how are your modules interfacing with each other, ect. I see your provided yourself with a basic list of features. Did you also write up any requirements or produce any sort of design docs or diagrams?

Again no offence intended, but when some asks me to give feedback on their design, they usually hand me a design document of sorts and possible a list of requirements that their design is supposed to support.

Good luck! How's the VM working out for you?

Guest Anonymous Poster
It's actually quite simple: you asked us to provide feedback concerning recommendations for possible extensions as well as identifying potential pitfalls, as we are not familiar with your VM and are unlikely to deeply dive into your source code, you'll have to introduce your VM to us-tell us more about its features, its use/usage, the bindings interface, provide some example source snippets (script & integration stuff), major differences to existing solutions-what the driving idea behind the VM was etc.

Such stuff is it that usually serves as an appetizer for other programmers to start discussing and reading source code, we can only ask informed questions if we are actually informed in the first place, people -and programmers in particular- being lazy in general, it is a good idea to provide some background reading material, so that we can start to understand your design-as well as start to question your decisions, in order to be able to provide truly constructive feedback.

I think that's exactly what the very first replies were about.

Guest Anonymous Poster
fully agreed, a basic introduction would minimally be required to be able to put your sources into perspective, for starters you could compare it with other approaches that you know of, then you could go into detail about the implementation in particular, I mean ACTUALLY as the developer you should be able to provide LOTS of relevant and interesting information without even looking at your sources, it shouldn't even take you much time or effort.

Guest Anonymous Poster
also, while providing the stuff via your webpage is in general good, you should take into account that people want to EASILY and QUICKLY get things done without wasting unnecessary "cycles"-thus, a direct link to the sources, or even a link to the full doxygen docs on your webpage would be much more convenient for the average user-and thus you would be also more likely to obtain useful feedback from others.

That's really what it all boils down to: As soon as you ask other people to do something for you, you should make sure that actually doing so is as comfortable as possible, while it may sounds ridiculous, I'm pretty sure that there are people who would have looked at your sources if it hadn't required them to manually find the stuff....

Guest Anonymous Poster
I have spent some time checking out your webpage, based on the info I've got so far (still limited, though), here's some feedback about the overall engine as there seems hardly any information available specific to the scripting/VM engine itself:

You seem to be a pretty skilled programmer, however you don't appear to be able to "sell"/market your idea/product (did you mention at all that your VM engine is called "LinderScript"?)-that is, a fair amount of the info we've requested was actually available on your webpage, so your original posting could have been easily improved by copying/pasting contents from your webpage in order to spice up your request for feedback, including snippets of source code is usually also interesting for other programmers, as well as providing short introductions AND links to further resources.

As programmers we are usually interested in answers to questions like:

- what is it?
- what is it good for?
- on what platforms/compilers is it supported?
- how is it different from existing approaches/products?
- how is it licensed/what does it cost?
- what requirements/dependencies does it have?
- what are the major architectural pillars of the product?
- what's the coolest thing about it?
- what are its known technical limitations?
- major strengths/weaknesses?
- how is it used?
- what overhead does it have?
- are there real-life applications using it?
- why was it developed/is it likely to continue being developed?
- how well is it maintained?
- any demos/tutorials available?
- how modular is the design?
- that is: can individual components be used in different settings, without requiring all sort of deps?
- how long does it take to compile on an average machine?
- how is it called (why)?

PROS:
- apparently pretty liberal licensing
- tutorial section
- full DoxyGen API reference available
- apparently support for many top notch OGL-related technologies (i.e. shaders)
- real life examples/demos available for download

CONS:
- apparently rather limited platform support (only Win32 right now?)
- heavy hardware requirements (OpenGL 2.0)
- hardly an implementation details available, certainly not for "LinderScript"
- hardly any details available for the various other components
- apparently pretty monolithic design, scripting engine doesn't appear to be available standalone or information is lacking
- source code on webpage isn't syntax-highlighted, or at least differently formatted: makes reading unnecessarily hard
- overall font size on webpage isn't conveniently readable on 1024x768 resolution

SUMMARY:

To me personally, the fact that the engine itself (and supposedly thus also "LinderScript"?) is currently only supported on Win32 platforms, as well as the OGL 2.0 requirement would be a showstopper to use/recommend it to be used in a project, as I feel that the hardware requirements and platform restrictions would be too significant to be ignored.

Likewise, I feel that the documentation can be seriously improved-as a library/framework or engine- programmer you are different from other programmers who program for USERS, in that your target audience are other PROGRAMMERS-that is, you HAVE TO HAVE good development docs available in order to allow other developers to get easily started using your product. Programmers who simply aren't familiar with your sources, and thus have to rely on corresponding docs.

The DoxyGen docs are certainly a good start, but probably really not sufficient-the repeated requests for design documents, illustrate this quite well. Also, you could seriously improve the odds of other programmers actually using your work for their own projects if you simply provided detailed information about individual components, if you don't know what information is required, simply ask yourself: "what could make me use another project as basis for my own project?". These are important questions to ask yourself.

If you'd like to get more feedback, or point me to wrong assumptions I've made, feel free to actually provide the background information you were asked for :-)

So, thank you for recomendations about the question structure. I've updated the original post, so it could be a little bit more informative. And here're the answers to your questions:

- what is it?
Very simply: it is an object oriented scripting system ;)
- what is it good for?
It is good for rapid development of game logic/custom GUI logic/tweaking of different game parameters.
- on what platforms/compilers is it supported?
The supported compilers are: MSVC 2005, GCC 3.4+, IC 8. The only supported platform for now is Win32. Win64 is upcoming as soon as i will have a Windows Vista 64 on my machine up and running ;)
- how is it different from existing approaches/products?
It is intended to be an open-source implementation of an UnrealScript-looking object model. There are no such kind of systems available in the market for free.
- how is it licensed/what does it cost?
It is free for any commercial and non-commercial use. Also a credit would be appriciated ;)
- what requirements/dependencies does it have?
It depends much on Linderdaum Engine simply as been part of it. Third party dependencies include: Intel JPEG Library, OpenGL, OpenAL. But none of these are directly connected with the scripting.
- what are the major architectural pillars of the product?
The key idea is to handle nicely inter language calls, like native-to-script and script-to-native. This was the most challanging to implement. For this purpose there're some preprocessing steps: you should build so called LinderScript Database containing all runtime types information necessary to run the scripting engine, but this is done automaticaly and directly from the C++ source code.
- what's the coolest thing about it?
Well, the coolest technical things, as was mentioned in the original post, are:
1) ability to inherit script classes from the native C++ classes
2) ability to have mixed classes (part of the classe's methods are written in C++, part in LinderScript)
3) allow transparent usage of scripted classes in C++ code - this means that you just call a method of the class and you don't care if it is implemented in C++ or in LinderScript - everything is handled behind the scenes.
- what are its known technical limitations?
This scripting model has support only for single inheritance.
- major strengths/weaknesses?
The major strenght is: one could rewrite any class (except some low-level core classes) in LinderScript.
The major weekness is: a script developer should be aware of object-oriented programming.
- how is it used?
Now i'm experimenting with complete implementation of GUI controls with the script.
- what overhead does it have?
The most overhead it brings is located in the method invokations code then the execution flow crosses the border between native and sripted code. The linear execution speed of the script is comparable to Lua and overall performance is comparable to Python.
- are there real-life applications using it?
Not yet.
- why was it developed/is it likely to continue being developed?
It was started 1 year ago to get undestanging what is going on inside UnrealScript. Then almost functioning system was integrated into the Linderdaum Engine and now it is evolving together with it.
- how well is it maintained?
I'm always very responsive to any e-mails regarding bugs/suggestions and improvments in the code.
- that is: can individual components be used in different settings, without requiring all sort of deps?
- how long does it take to compile on an average machine?
On my ASUS W3J laptop with Intel Core Duo 1.8 GHz and 1Gb of RAM on board it takes about 5 minutes to compile the whole engine (in debug mode).
- how is it called (why)?
It it called LinderScript. This came from LINDERdaum engine SCRIPTing system. ;)

Some remarks about your CONS guesses:

CONS:
- apparently rather limited platform support (only Win32 right now?)
Right now only Win32 is tested, but Win64 is on the way.
- heavy hardware requirements (OpenGL 2.0)
One shouldn't consider this heavy, since much depends on what kind of shaders you are using. GeForce6 series is 2 year old hardware anyway.
- hardly an implementation details available, certainly not for "LinderScript"
I think a good tutorial how to use it is better than deep technical explanation how it works. The technical tutorials are usualy intended for people who are going to implement similiar system of their own. This is not my goal. But the source code is free, so if one wants to implement his own OO-script he will have to work for it a little bit ;)
- hardly any details available for the various other components
In the near future i will provide more small examples and tutorials on how to use all these stuff.
- apparently pretty monolithic design, scripting engine doesn't appear to be available standalone or information is lacking
All high-level subsystems could be dropped (like rendering, GUI, resources manager, etc).
- source code on webpage isn't syntax-highlighted, or at least differently formatted: makes reading unnecessarily hard
I will fix this as soon as i find a tool!

Thanks for your interest!

[Edited by - _Sergey_ on September 26, 2006 2:03:44 AM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by Netsurfer
Nobody interested?

well, in order to answer your question, you would first have to tell us interested in WHAT?

It depends much on your language preferences, but neither Lua nor Pithon or Ruby gives you these of features (and even LuaBind dosn't). Or don't you like UnrealScript-like solutions in general? ;)

To be honest, the only aspect of UnrealScript I liked was the state construct, otherwise I found it a crippled language were it ever used outside of the Unreal environment.

I love Ruby, the majority of people here seem to use Lua in their games, with the next most use language being Python (and boost;:python). What's happening here is that _Sergey_ doesn't know how to sell his language. He hasn't give a list of features or much less a reason to use this, and from what I've seen on his website, it comes across that using LinderScript outside of the Linderdaum engine would be just as difficult as UnrealScript outside of the Unreal engine.

So yeah, nothing I've seen has made me even remotely interested in this scripting language.

not going to take the time to check it out first hand right now but sounds very impressive; i commend you :D

edit: i admit i am really intrigued by the idea of being able to override class methods; in script!

having written a C-style script interpreter (albeit not a VM) i certainly appreciate the efforts you've put into something like this.

i guess my only question is when will we learn to be more creative?
UnrealScript, LinderScript, LunarScript (mine), etc..
;)