Sending small amount of data via GPRS

Started by
2 comments, last by Kylotan 17 years, 7 months ago
I'm making a program for mobile phones and there is a lot of interactions between mobile phone and server. Now it works like http - I send some request and server do a response. The problem is the traffic - every interaction is 50 bytes of useful information but hundred of bytes - are headers. I wanted to use sockets but I can't find free hosting with support of them. What to do?
VATCHENKO.COM
Advertisement
Try and send data less often to cut the overhead. If you're not willing to pay for hosting your options here are truly limited.
The hosting problems are not so hard. I use free hosting. I'm worrying about my clients. Because they will say: I've entered the (1.5kb), went to some pages (1.5kb), ... After 10 pages there will be 15kb. In my country 1MB=$1. What do my clients have for $1? 90% of needless information!
VATCHENKO.COM
Yes, but you said you're using free hosting, free hosting typically only provides HTTP connections, and HTTP connections carry a significant amount of overhead by definition. There's nothing you can do about that, apart from sending data in fewer requests to reduce the overhead.

Otherwise, if you move up from free hosting, you can use sockets directly, as you said, and cut out that HTTP overhead. (Providing the phones you target have an accessible socket layer to interact with.)

There aren't really any other practical options; SMS is too slow for you and probably more expensive than byte-billed GPRS, and you aren't the telecoms provider so you can't practically use USSD either.

I suggest you look into ways into reducing the number of interactions between client and server, or into getting hosting that'll let you run your own server (probably not all that expensive really).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement