• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
bonus

Writing a renderer from scratch - resource gathering.

This topic is 4399 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I've been tasked with writing a renderer from scratch for an upcoming project. The renderer must - be written in Directx 9.0c. - be completely shader based (i.e. absolutely no fixed function pipeline allowed). - run in a thread concurrent with the main logic thread, rendering at 60fps (V-Synced) and have the possibility to update the logic and physics faster if necessary. - handle multiple viewports. - handle multiple resolutions. Now none of this is partiularly complex but I'd like to know as much about these different areas and more importantly getting them integrated together before I make a leap into writing any code. The multiple viewports and resolutions is a bit of a basic step and was an afterthought for this thread the real focus of my research is going to be writing a renderer which can efficiently sort the rendering of objects to minimise state changes and obviously avoiding the dreaded deadlock. I'm aware of a few techniques regarding double buffered game states etc. which can be used but I'm open to other techniques too so that I can make the best choice on what suits our needs. So if anyone has any advice on writing such a system or links to resources or recommendations for books I should look to aquire the input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!