Sign in to follow this  
tonymontana

[.net] Converting a fucntion from VB to C#

i was converting a project from VB to c# (i don't know VB and very new to C# (it has been 4 days:)..but i am a good C/C++programmer) i saw an assignment statement which is passin a argument to a function in VB ...
Private Function TirnakKontrol(ByVal str As String) As String
        If InStr(str, "'") > 0 Then
            Dim lenVal As Integer
            Dim i As Integer
            lenVal = Len(str)
            TirnakKontrol = ""
            For i = 1 To lenVal
                TirnakKontrol = TirnakKontrol & Mid(str, i, 1)
                If Mid(str, i, 1) = "'" Then
                    TirnakKontrol = TirnakKontrol & "'"
                End If
            Next i
            Return TirnakKontrol
        Else
            Return str
        End If
    End Function

is TirnakKontrol = TirnakKontrol & Mid(str, i, 1) means (in the code above) TirnakKontrol ( TirnakKontrol(str.Substring(i,1)) ); (in c#) and return TirnakKontrol means actually return TirnakKontrol("") ; ?? there was no argument how VB takes these Function Names (in C++ they are adress of functions or in other words,literals for function pointers) .can anyone tell me about VB's this attitude?

Visual Basic has a really icky method for returning values from functions. Whenever you define a Function (as opposed to a Sub), you get a "magic" variable with the same name as the function itself.

In this case, there is a magic variable named TirnakKontrol that exists within the scope of that function. When the function exits (by any means other than a Return), the value of the magic variable is used as the return value of the function. This is kept mainly as a backwards-compatibility hack with previous flavours of Basic (Visual Basic and others). However, it is generally very horribly bad style, and you should use Return instead of magic variables.

I'd suggest modifying the VB code first to eliminate the magic variable - just declare a new string variable like ReturnValue inside the If block. Then it should be much more clear how to translate the code to C#.

is this really true? what a unneccessary property of VB

now as i understood from what you've said TirnakKontrol is actually a string variable (because function returns a string) and if we (for example) rename it as StrReturnValue ...
TirnakKontrol = "" means StrReturnValue="";

TirnakKontrol = TirnakKontrol & Mid(str, i, 1) means

StrReturnValue=StrReturnValue+str.Substring(i,1)

and if myfunction is not returning a value but the execution of function finished
then (in VB ) it will return TirnakKontrol...(i got error while i were converting another Function from vb to C# .it said that "not all control paths return a value
" ..probably that function was there returnin a magic-hidden parameter (in VB code) )

You mean that .i didn't understand wrong .did i?

one more thing is this rule also applies to PROPERTY keyword..for example in the property exmple below ..is cValue a magical predefined variable

Public Property cValue(ByVal FieldName As String)

Get
Dim i As Integer
For i = 0 To ColCount - 1
If FieldArray(i) = FieldName Then
If IsDBNull(ValueArray(i)) Then
Return ""
Else
Return ValueArray(i)
End If
End If
Next
cValue = ""