Visual Studio 2005 VC++: Where is this C/C++ tree in Property pages?

Started by
10 comments, last by Dave Hunt 17 years, 7 months ago
I'm trying to set up SDL in VS2005 Standard Edition:VC++ and I was able to do all but change the Run Time Library to Multithreaded DLL. All inscructions on the internet point to going to this C/C++ tree under property pages, but all I get is 'Common Properties' and 'Configuration Properties'. Doesn't seem to be under any sub-tree either. Can someone help me please? Thank You.
Advertisement
It's under Configuration Properties... make sure you have project (vcproj) selected, not a solution (sln). The 3rd option under that tree should be a C/C++ option, which has a subtree containing "Code Generation" which has the option you want.
Oh thanks! I found it!

EDIT: Nevermind :)

Niko Suni

Now I'm having this slight problem with this one tutorial:

http://lazyfooproductions.com/SDL_tutorials/lesson02/index.php

It works except I don't know how to show the images I mean...where do you put them for the program to recognize the images?
Quote:Original post by Undubbed of the Many
Now I'm having this slight problem with this one tutorial:

http://lazyfooproductions.com/SDL_tutorials/lesson02/index.php

It works except I don't know how to show the images I mean...where do you put them for the program to recognize the images?

In the program working directory. Unless you changed it in the project properties, the program directory is usually the directory where the .vcproj file lies. In order to correct this problem, you can change the corresponding option to "$(OutDir)/" (which is then the directory where the compiled program lies) or to any value of your choice (I recommand you to use a relative path). Then you can copy your images to this directory and it should work fine.

Regards,
^ I'm not quite sure what to do.

The project name is Tut.

The project folder is saved at the default: C:\Documents and Settings\Johnnie Rushing\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\Tut

I try putting them under projects and the screen is still blank. I even put them under the other Tut folder that had the .vcproj file and I still get nothing.

I think there's something I'm not understanding here...
^ I'm not quite sure what to do.

The project name is Tut.

The project folder is saved at the default: C:\Documents and Settings\Johnnie Rushing\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\Tut

I try putting them under projects and the screen is still blank. I even put them under the other Tut folder that had the .vcproj file and I still get nothing.

I think there's something I'm not understanding here...

Run the program through the debugger and step through it to see what the problem is. Likely some if check or other is failing. From there you should be able to figure out what's going wrong.

Likely you want to put the images in the folder where the .exe is spit out (aka .../Tut/Debug/ or .../Tut/Release/ depending on which configuration you are building.

but seriously, use the debugger. that's why it's there. =)

-me
No no, the problem is not the program. The problem is getting the tutorial's images to be displayed within the program. There are no errors or warnings.

EDIT: Alright! Cool it seems that for some reason the file needed to be specified by .bmp within the program. I just put .bmp in front them and then it worked.

whew..
No no, the problem is not the program. The problem is getting the tutorial's images to be displayed within the program. There are no errors or warnings.

I understand. but if you step through it in the debugger you can figure out if the problem is that it's not finding the images or if it's something else. The fact that the images are not displaying and there are no error messages implies that there aren't any error messages in the code to notify you of problems. i.e. you should step through and find the problem since the tutorial isn't set up to let you know what it is.

Anyway, if you're lazy, just try putting them in the same directory as the exe. (which is not the /tut/ directory). The code might also be set up to look for them in a specific relative directory like <path to exe>/images or something. Again, stepping through the code will tell you this.

-me

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement