Sign in to follow this  
Siberwulf

New to Isometrics (Noob post, sorry in advace)

As the topic says, I'm pretty new to Isometrics. I'm not new to development though, so thats a bonus :) My team was originally working on a RPG, but decided we weren't big or experience enough to make a viable game in a reasonable amount of time. We have our back story, we have a 3d modeler, and we have a couple of good developers. We're looking to tackle a RTS or a Turn-based Strat. The problem I'm having is getting started. FPS/MMO games typically have an "Engine" that you can use to do your development, and a reasonable API. I haven't seen much in that way for Isometric games (I don't even know if its Isometric that I'm looking for, but I believe so. ) At any rate, I don't care if you explain a link, or just post "go here", but any and all posts in response to htis help request are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

"I don't even know if its Isometric that I'm looking for, but I believe so."

Type "Snake Rattle and Roll" or "Crystal Castles" in Google, and you will know if that's the thing you're looking for :)

Oh, I know what feel I'm going for. Its a mix of Starcraft, Warcraft, AoE and a little bit of Sim City.

Does that help? :D

Edit: Ok, those aren't what I'm looking for. But I saw the sticky at the top here, and that IS kinda what I'm looking for!

Help! ;)

Working on pure isometric is more difficult than making everything 3D and setting the camera such that you see everything as isometric. An example of this is Warcraft III where everything is 3D but is shown in an isometric perspective.

In this case, you do have a engine and other stuff similar to a FPS/MMO (Even though a pure isometric game also has a engine and other stuff...).

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by Zymph
Working on pure isometric is more difficult than making everything 3D and setting the camera such that you see everything as isometric. An example of this is Warcraft III where everything is 3D but is shown in an isometric perspective.

In this case, you do have a engine and other stuff similar to a FPS/MMO (Even though a pure isometric game also has a engine and other stuff...).

This isn't necessarily true... While you may avoid certain difficulties in the programming department by using 3D rather than 2D graphics, the artwork involved is a lot more complex as soon as you begin using 3D graphics.

Quote:

I think this is simply not true. 1 month of practical experience will tell you one way or the other. Starting with nothing, I think 3D is an order of magnitude more difficult, in almost every area. If you start with a robust 3D engine, game design becomes more limited and easy at the same time (than a custom 2D isometric). I really have had no big obstacles on making a 2D iso engine.