• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

No rule to make target 'clean'. Stop.

This topic is 4186 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm not sure what this error is, i made a SDL project via the multimedia thingy in dev-cpp. For some reason i get "[Build Error] No Rule to make target 'clean'. Stop." I was wondering if anyone could tell me a solution :)

Advertisement
Your build tools are trying to clean the project; that is, delete all the intermediate files that the compiler and linker spit out in the process of producing an .EXE file. However, for some reason, your project's makefile doesn't have a clean step set up in it.

Unfortunately, I know extremely little about makefiles, since I find them (generally speaking) very icky. So I'm really not sure what to suggest.

But at least you know why you're getting the error [wink]

You need to add a "clean" target to your makefile. "clean" should not depend on anything and it should delete your object files and binaries. For example:
clean:
rm -rf *.obj
rm -rf *.exe

I'm still a little confused, i added those lines to the makefile through dev-cpp (as a guess). I still get the same error though. My last project worked fine.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement