Preprocessor failure?

Started by
3 comments, last by Sneftel 17 years, 7 months ago
Hello, I've got a kind of weird (to me, its weird) problem. I define a few words and then want to use them. So to combine the LEFTBOTTOM with the LEFTTOP I use a bitwise or, | . The problem is, the preprocessor doesn't do, what it is supposed to do. (or isn't doing what I think it should be doing ;) ) I think this small program will make it clear:

#define TOPLEFT         0x01;
#define TOPRIGHT        0x02;
#define RIGHTTOP        0x04;
#define RIGHTBOTTOM     0x08;
#define BOTTOMRIGHT     0x10;
#define BOTTOMLEFT      0x20;
#define LEFTBOTTOM      0x40;
#define LEFTTOP         0x80;

int main()
{
  char a = 0x40 | 0x80;           // <--- this is OK
  char b = LEFTBOTTOM | LEFTTOP;  // E2188: expression syntax error
  return 0;
}

If the precessor replaces all the defines, it is exactly the same as char a = 0x40 | 0x80 (the previous line) and should not throw me an error. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance. Kamos
Advertisement
#define directives don't end with a semicolon. Guess where those semicolons are ending up? [smile]
You'd probably be better off using const variables instead of #define macros. It gets around the invisible preprocessor (invisible in that the compiler doesn't catch errors until after the preprocessor does its work).
Ah ofcourse!
And yes I guess const variables would be better, but it introduces a lot of work...
Say I'd use a const variable. When I use 2 classes, which make use of these const variables, I will have to declare these const variables twice. (once in each class).
This is double work. (and gets worse when using more classes)
Or am I wrong?

The preprocessor allows me to define names and use the defined names anywhere I want. (with the side effect of invisible errors...)
You can put const static int TOPLEFT = 0x01; in a header file (not in a class definition) and it'll be available anywhere that header file is included.

For that matter, an enumeration might be more appropriate to what you're doing.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement