XNA for XBOX?

Started by
4 comments, last by Emmanuel Deloget 17 years, 7 months ago
I don't really understand what XNA is about. I talked to a representative at GDCONF and he said it's a tool for group project development. Now it's supposed to allow indie developers to create games on the XBOX. I downloaded the beta and didn't see anything related to XBOX dev. Am I missing something? Where can I get more info? - Valles
Advertisement
Check out the XNA FAQ and of course the XNA Forums [smile]

All the best,
ViLiO
Richard 'ViLiO' Thomasv.net | Twitter | YouTube
Thx ViLiO.
XNA is more of a build tool rather than a pipeline. It crunches/processes data in a build-centric process. What they are doing is great for projects that want to use the slow monolithic build styles of the past. However, asset pools are only going to continue to grow. Build-centric solutions are not optimal for the asset pools of today; Sometimes artists can wait hours if not days before they can see their changes in the game. Fast iterations are imperative for the creative team members.

Also, from what I have seen, it is not really a team centric solution. It is more of a build engineer's tool and not very friendly to an artist or less technical team members. “A true pipeline XNA is not.” – My Yoda quote for the day.
The Beta version is only for PC development. For the XBox you need RC1 due around Devember and a subscription to the Creator's Club for $99 a year.
APE
Quote:Original post by Naku
The Beta version is only for PC development. For the XBox you need RC1 due around Devember and a subscription to the Creator's Club for $99 a year.

Not to mention that you'll be limited to non-commercial game development for XBox if you use the Express edition. You'll have to buy the pro edition (and probably convice MS that your game can perform well on the XB360 and gives a good image of it) to bypass this limitation.

Regards,

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement