Build OS from scratch

Started by
13 comments, last by KulSeran 17 years, 7 months ago
And don't forget you'll need to write all the code (C, ASM, whatever) that allows C++'s higher-level features to run. Constructors/destructors for global objects needs support code (not much), as does RTTI. From memory there's a tutorial about how to do that on one of the links provided. In fact, I'll search for it now... and here it is.

Yeah, it's compiler specific. Bummer, ey?
[ search: google ][ programming: msdn | boost | opengl ][ languages: nihongo ]
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Ravuya
See if you can track down a university class or Tannenbaum's books.

You're probably best to find decent books on this than scrabbling around on messageboards: most of the stuff I've seen is incomplete at best.

I'm in cs 330 which is "Introduction to Operating Systems" in this class we will write a simulation of a portion of an Operating System... But it doesn't sound like we'll learn anything in detail about how to actually create a bootable OS... Most likely we'll build a filesystem or something on top of an existing OS... The course has just started, so it's early to say much, I just want to come out of it with a real understanding of how to make a real bootable OS which is why I'm looking into this.

Thanks again guys.

I'm not sure if I have the time required to get a bootable command prompt between this and my other courses and so I may not be able to show you the product of the research... We'll see. It's kind of a project I wouldn't continue beyond this course anyway as there exist many operating systems already and they are done better than anything I would come up with. I'd rather invest time in my painting program I'm working on... But this is still of interest. We'll see what happens.
_______________________"You're using a screwdriver to nail some glue to a ming vase. " -ToohrVyk
well ive heard because of linex's open sourcedness its probaply best to make another version of that
Quote:Original post by M2tM
Quote:Original post by Ravuya
See if you can track down a university class or Tannenbaum's books.

You're probably best to find decent books on this than scrabbling around on messageboards: most of the stuff I've seen is incomplete at best.

I'm in cs 330 which is "Introduction to Operating Systems" in this class we will write a simulation of a portion of an Operating System... But it doesn't sound like we'll learn anything in detail about how to actually create a bootable OS... Most likely we'll build a filesystem or something on top of an existing OS... The course has just started, so it's early to say much, I just want to come out of it with a real understanding of how to make a real bootable OS which is why I'm looking into this.

Thanks again guys.

I'm not sure if I have the time required to get a bootable command prompt between this and my other courses and so I may not be able to show you the product of the research... We'll see. It's kind of a project I wouldn't continue beyond this course anyway as there exist many operating systems already and they are done better than anything I would come up with. I'd rather invest time in my painting program I'm working on... But this is still of interest. We'll see what happens.

I'm also in an OS course this semester (about 1/2 the way through it), and we're using Tanenbaum's book Modern Operating Systems (2nd Edition) as our text.

There's no way in hell you're writing an operating system. Not even a command line one. There's just way too much for a uni project. As a hobby project, a command-line OS is not an unreachable goal, but for uni marking, it's too big a project. They need to makr whether you're right or not, remember, [grin].
[ search: google ][ programming: msdn | boost | opengl ][ languages: nihongo ]
Quote:
There's no way in hell you're writing an operating system. Not even a command line one. There's just way too much for a uni project.

Does OS 161/System 161 count? I managed to get through most of that in my university course.
It is a "simulated" OS, in that it runs on a fake MIPS machine, but the OS doesn't know it is in a sim,
and there is no tie to it from the OS. So, i'd say it is a bare-bones commandline OS.

I will note that there is a lot of base code that you get to use, but there is a lot
you have to implement on your own.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement