• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Grain

Learn a scripting language?

This topic is 4303 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

How long long would it take to learn a scripting language AND its C++ API to the point where I can use them for adding logic to my game objects? I know I should learn it eventually But I'd like to complete my game soon and I really don't need THAT much flexibility. Its just that I am in the middle of writing my own format for describing game object behavior. And I just want to know if it would be worth it to drop that and use a scripting language. Also which language. I hear a lot about python.

Advertisement
I've used Lua in the past. Its a quite easy language to learn and from what I remember, there are a few projects around to help you integrate it with your C++ engine.

Here's their website and their add on wiki.

Hope this helps

Eric

Below is a list of rough time estimates, where I'm just trying to get within 1 order of magnatude to give you a round idea.

Basic language structure - a few days to a few weeks.

Being able to use the language for something usefull better than your host language of choie - a few weeks to a few months.

The embedding API - a few days

Exposing your game MOST BASIC functions - a few days

Exposing your game in a way useful to real modder types - a few weeks to a few months.

The above not withstanding, in theory you could get a basic langauge learned and minimally integrated in just 1 hardcore weekend (or week) - but more likely is at least 2.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!