Sign in to follow this  
Grain

Learn a scripting language?

How long long would it take to learn a scripting language AND its C++ API to the point where I can use them for adding logic to my game objects? I know I should learn it eventually But I'd like to complete my game soon and I really don't need THAT much flexibility. Its just that I am in the middle of writing my own format for describing game object behavior. And I just want to know if it would be worth it to drop that and use a scripting language. Also which language. I hear a lot about python.

I've used Lua in the past. Its a quite easy language to learn and from what I remember, there are a few projects around to help you integrate it with your C++ engine.

Here's their website and their add on wiki.

Hope this helps

Eric

Below is a list of rough time estimates, where I'm just trying to get within 1 order of magnatude to give you a round idea.

Basic language structure - a few days to a few weeks.

Being able to use the language for something usefull better than your host language of choie - a few weeks to a few months.

The embedding API - a few days

Exposing your game MOST BASIC functions - a few days

Exposing your game in a way useful to real modder types - a few weeks to a few months.

The above not withstanding, in theory you could get a basic langauge learned and minimally integrated in just 1 hardcore weekend (or week) - but more likely is at least 2.